Need longer lasting tire without sacrificing perfrormance.

koston33

So I'm a little frustrated 15 months later and I will be needing some new tires soon. Currently I'm riding on BFgoodrich g-force super sport A/S. What I am looking for is a tires that will last me atleast 2-3 years, while still maintaining a degree of performance. Any recommendations. What are you riding on, how many miles are on the tire, and how much longer till you need new ones do you think?

you cant have everything. if you want sticky, you're gonna get short life. if you want long life, you're gonna get a less sticky tire. however, for a decent compromise, look for a tire with a treadwear rating of at least 300+.

How many miles do you intend for the tires to last? Mileage expectations are what you should be considering, rather than number of years.

You can drive the car very minimally and only put on 10,000 miles in 5 years and have the tires fail from dry rot with close to full tread still left.

You can put on 35,000 or more miles in one year and have bald tires.

I got 27,000 miles on the stock RE-050A's and thought that was pretty good for a tire with a 140 wear rating that I drove very aggressively, tracking the car, making lots of "performance tuning" high speed runs well over 130 mph, once or twice to drag limited 153 mph, and lots and lots of hard tire spinning practice launches working on 60 ft. times for the drag strip.

As stated earlier, it will be a trade off between how soft the compound it (stickier, better performing tire) and mileage (harder, more slippery performance). There is no free ride.

If you are looking for 40,000+ miles on a true summer ultra high performance, maximum performance tire, you had better start looking for the Holy Grail and the Lost City of Atlantis and while you are at it, see you can find the formula for turning water into gold.

All kidding and hyperbole aside, it is a compromise. Proper rotation and keeping tire pressure right may be more important than small differences in the maximum performance levels of tires in the same performance range for our speed rating and traction needs.

Edit: I see that you are now on aftermarket A/S tires. What is the tread wear rating on those? I went with Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S when I replaced the stock tires. Any A/S is going to give up a little absolute traction at the limit and have a little less sharpness on the turn in compared to a true summer tire. I made that choice because I'm in a climate where I do see some freezing conditions, but not enough to justify separate wheels and winter tires. Tread wear on the Pirelli's is 300, which in theory means they should last longer than the stock tires, but those numbers do not carry across tire brands, only within the same maunfacturer. But they should do a little better, provided I take care of rotation and keep the pressures set right.

Last edited:
I bought Kumho ASX all seasons because I have R compound race tires for... well racing. They seem to be quite good for an all season in terms of wear and performance but I have no 1/4 mile or autoX time with them, just on/off ramps and daily driving. Plus they arent expensive :0

In theory I would like to get somewhere around 25000 miles on a set of tires. The Super Sport has given me about 15 or less now. The treadwear rating on them is 400. I was pretty happy with them all around. Just wish they last longer.

I'm happy with my Hankook V12's so far, but I only have a few hundred miles on them. Nice and quiet and smooth compared to the stock tires.

In theory I would like to get somewhere around 25000 miles on a set of tires. The Super Sport has given me about 15 or less now. The treadwear rating on them is 400. I was pretty happy with them all around. Just wish they last longer.

With that treadwear rating, if they're toast after 15K miles, you might want to check your alignment.

Long lasting tires and performance tires don't go together. The longer lasting a tire is the less performance oriented it is as well. So, you have to decide what's important to you. Budget, how many miles (not measured in years,) speed ratings, UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) ratings, etc.
Most people are aware of speed ratings. Simply put, you need to buy a tire with the appropriate speed rating for your vehicle. In Europe, the law mandates that the original equipment tire must be replaced with a tire possessing the same or higher speed rating. However, in the US you can buy a lower (and less expensive) speed rated tire of the same size. If you do this, be aware that you are limiting your vehicle's performance in terms of handling and speed capacity. Generally speaking, a tire's handling response corresponds with its speed rating. Look at it this way: you'll lose that crisp handling the manufacturer designed into the vehicle and you will not be able to safely achieve the speeds the vehicle was designed for if you use a lower speed rated tire than the original design. Conversely, you can improve your vehicle's handling with a higher speed rated tire. The old adage, "you get what you pay for", may have been invented for tire buying. I run a Dunlop Direzza Z1 sport star spec in a 225/45/18 and need to replace once a year, (after about 20k miles.) I won't run a cheap tire on my car, that's just me. My point is buy the "best" tire you can afford, the tires are still a part of your suspension which not only relates to handling and speed but stopping quality as well, good luck with your decision....

long lasting tire? They dont exist. lol

I am lucky if I get 15k out of a set of tires. Usually its 6-9k miles a set.

usually just a lot of canyon time. Usually a run a week with an extra run sometime in the week as well.

Dont get me started on oil. lol

Haha well that explains everything. But like everyone else said, treadwear is going to depend on a lot of factors. You are simply not going to get a high performance tire with good treadwear.

Sounds like fun. We have a very few twisties around here. They sure are fun unless I get stuck behind some white-knuckled mouth-breather.

As for tire longevity, I put Yokohama YK 520s on mine. Nice grip and a bit quieter than the Potenzas. I liked 'em so much I put a set on my C. Much better ride and equal grip (maybe better) than the GY Triple Treds that came with it. I don't push mine as hard as some of you younger guys.

long lasting tire? They dont exist. lol

I am lucky if I get 15k out of a set of tires. Usually its 6-9k miles a set.

Do you rotate your tires? Lots of burnouts? haha DAMN. What brands are you only getting 6-9k miles on? Something is not right, even on the oem Potenza's at 140 treadwear you can get 20k+ out of them, at least I did. My Dunlop star specs get 20k+ too at 200 treadwear. (drive2) I do rotate every oil change (5k miles) to get these results, and check tire pressure on a regular basis. Performance tires aren't cheap and I want to keep them running as long as possible.

usually just a lot of canyon time. Usually a run a week with an extra run sometime in the week as well.

Dont get me started on oil. lol

Do you rotate your tires? Lots of burnouts? haha DAMN. What brands are you only getting 6-9k miles on? Something is not right, even on the oem Potenza's at 140 treadwear you can get 20k+ out of them, at least I did. My Dunlop star specs get 20k+ too at 200 treadwear. (drive2) I do rotate every oil change (5k miles) to get these results, and check tire pressure on a regular basis. Performance tires aren't cheap and I want to keep them running as long as possible.

oh im all over the tire pressure and rotation. I do oil every 3k and rotate at the same time. Also about every other oil change I will get them cross rotated since they need to be dismounted. That has helped some as well. Its just that Im hard on my car.

Back