FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

the power increase that requires higher octane also increases efficiency, which means you're paying about the same for gas yearly but less trips to the gas station!

Cool.. ill give those a shot. If ever someone puts 87 in the car...in sure the engine will retard the timing.

1.1mm or .043inchces. I gapped mine at .044 because that was the closest on my ghetto plug gapper. The plugs when I got them were pre-gapped at 1.1mm but you can double check.

I measured mileage for 91 octane then 89 and get roughly the same mileage (450km/tank). To be honest I don't seem to be getting any better mileage then the original plugs at this time of year. I got bad mileage (370km) on 87 octane but this may be because I reset the ecu when I put the plugs in. I will have definate results at 87 octane in a couple weeks.

edit: mileage has settled at 500-550km/tank on 89 octane. Haven't done additional 87 octane because this is the best mileage i've got on the car since i've owned it.

Last edited:
I wish I could track gas mileage changes from mod to mod but I violate scientific method so much. I always change a few things at the same time.

After a couple of tanks here... I now do about 50-75 more KM on a tank. On my last tank, the fuel light came on at around 600 KM :D (burnout)

i just ran the car on the expressway all weekend, and would like to report 32 miles/gallon. (on 87 octane and 75mph)

Wow, I've been looking for explanations and solutions to the car jerking in 1st/reverse ever since I bought it. It's my first manual car so I thought that maybe it was just natural and I'd need to learn to drive it better, but lucky I stumbled upon this thread... I'm on a stock P5 and just changed the plugs, but I think I'll have to try these long reach plugs anyway.

Out of curiosity and for discussion, why does the engine jerk so easily with the stock plugs in 1st?

You need to give it a little gas on take off. The protege doesn't have much power at low rev's, the long reach plugs help a little with that.

BTW, I ran the car a few tanks on regular 87 octane. I actually get the same (~550km) on regular compared to mid 89 octane. Yet, I've been switching back and forth from 87 to 89 and I could swear it runs a little smoother and bogs less with the higher octane.

deagz said:
You need to give it a little gas on take off. The protege doesn't have much power at low rev's, the long reach plugs help a little with that.

BTW, I ran the car a few tanks on regular 87 octane. I actually get the same (~550km) on regular compared to mid 89 octane. Yet, I've been switching back and forth from 87 to 89 and I could swear it runs a little smoother and bogs less with the higher octane.
Yeah, I do give it gas, but what I meant wasn't takeoff. When I'm already in first gear, clutch completely engaged and car rolling, if I get off the throttle completely and then get back on lightly, it tends to jerk as well.

clicknext said:
Yeah, I do give it gas, but what I meant wasn't takeoff. When I'm already in first gear, clutch completely engaged and car rolling, if I get off the throttle completely and then get back on lightly, it tends to jerk as well.

It's more an issue of the motor mounts than the spark plugs but somehow they really fixed it a lot. I'm at around 69500 miles right now, and have had them in since april, I'd say probably 5k miles on them so far? Still seem to be going strong. I got 36.5mpg a couple weeks ago :)

hey,

I had the bad surging / lurching before. I commute in bumper to bumper traffic most everyday now so I had to do something. I tried the long reach plugs and they did a little bit but not much for the lurching, smoother revving for sure but I still have a rough idle. I got the AWR motor mounts and I still had the lurching for a while, now that the mounts have settled in the lurching is gone. You just have to play and see what works best for your car.

matt

just put these in today... wow... it really did idle alot smoother, i saw more improvement from this than from cleaning my EGR! and i tried a little trick... well... i eased off the clutch without giving it any gas in first gear and it went without hesitation even once the clutch was fully engaged, up a driveway none the less...

i like this... haha

i've been using the 91/92 octane for a while now tho... about a month or two...

everyone should use these plugs... haha

Just put these in today and the difference (I know this will seem like b/s) is night and day. I would get nasty lurching when creeping in a parking lot in 1st and it's practically gone (I won't say entirely, but it's been a huge difference).

Running 89 octane (whatever was in the tank) and didn't notice any knocking thus far.

Dimitrios said:
Just put these in today and the difference (I know this will seem like b/s) is night and day. I would get nasty lurching when creeping in a parking lot in 1st and it's practically gone (I won't say entirely, but it's been a huge difference).

Running 89 octane (whatever was in the tank) and didn't notice any knocking thus far.
Personally I've learned to just slip the clutch while parking and stuff to prevent the lurching. Probably very bad, so maybe changing plugs will actually help me save money.

Wait, so have people been getting pinging from 87 octane? That's what I'll probably keep using, especially with the gas prices...

Last edited:
clicknext said:
Wait, so have people been getting pinging from 87 octane? That's what I'll probably keep using, especially with the gas prices...

i haven't, but that doesn't mean you won't

Hmm, I noticed that the 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines have those ZFR5F-11 plugs from the factory. Anyone know the reason for this difference?

UPDATE:
I've been getting the best gas mileage to date after installing the long-reach plugs. I've been consistent 27-29 mpg with 60% city and 40% highway driving at ~5000 feet altitude. I must also add that I've been using 91 octane since the first fill-up after the plug switch.

Back