Yay! Miata #2 lives!!

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
For those that care, tonight at 8:45pm, Miata #2 once again makes noise. I finally got the few remaining items reinstalled in the engine bay. At first, the head sounded horrible, a lot of valve noise and it wouldn't idle properly. It wanted to stall when giving gas. I assumed the valve train needed adjustment and the timing was off. After letting it idle a bit and a brief drive, the noise went away and power came back. I assume the HLA's just needed a bit of oil, so all problems solved. However, after driving it around for a few minutes, she started to make a high pitched squeel like that of metal on metal althewhile loosing power....not good :(. The noise was coming from the exhaust side of the head. For some reason, I went to feel the exhaust charges coming from the exhaust pipe. Output was very minimal and I could hear a hissing sound, like the exhaust channel was obstructed some how. Well, during my drive, the cat was rattling feircely, it's toast. So I banged on the cat. with a 2-pound attitude adjustment tool, started the car, and everything was the way it should be. No squeal, no loss of power, and proper exhaust output. It seems as though a peice of the cat had obstructed the cat.'s outlet. I guess the squeal was some sort of leakage around the valves and or pistons. Anyway, that was a close one, whew :D.

Now off to reassembly of the body and research of some go fast parts :D

It%20lives!.JPG

MP5s Make Ready said:
Woot modern day frankenstein...IT'S ALIVE!!
Frankenstein is right, with currently missing all of the front body panels, it's quite a hideous looking beast, hehe.

jflo said:
haha nice ! you're gonna have to put up some pictures of that naked frankenmiata ! :D
There are quite a few pics of my progress here. I must say, it's been a rather enjoyable experience, strangely, with putting this car back together.

Let me know if for some reason th link doesn't work. I'll post pics here.

-EDIT-

Here's a sample:
DSCN1382.JPG

Last edited:
wow cool pics ! i always wondered what the keyway looked like originally. i don't think mine has that problem. the FAQ said that the short nose problem was only in cars w/ VIN below a 202000 or something, i don't remember. but i know i'm way above it at 236xxx. that's cool how you towed #2 w/ #1. looks like a miata party ! hehehe (thumb)

Kevin, I posted for you over on clubprotege.com
How have you already gone through almost a half a tank of gas? You only went a mile:p

Luv2RedLine said:
Kevin, I posted for you over on clubprotege.com
How have you already gone through almost a half a tank of gas? You only went a mile:p
hehe. I'm wondering if the gas guage is working. I put a gallon in there yesterday and it didn't move. Hmmm.

sweet...you can never have enough cars.
Sure you can. When you start to park them at friend's places as I am, lol.

Back