Xenon bulbs cast yellowish light, rather than white

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
I noticed that our CX-9 GT casts a yellowish light, more like a halogen bulb, rather than a white light and it does not seem right. When I initially turn it on, the bulbs cast a really white light. But, after it settles down to full brightness, the bulb casts a yellowish light.

The vehicle, that the CX-9 replaced, was an FX35 and it cast a white light. I also have a 2007 VW GLI with Xenons and it, too, casts a white light. As far as I know, the FX35 and the GLI uses 4300K bulbs, which I think the CX-9 also uses. So, I'm a bit confused why the CX-9 casts a yellowish light.

I did notice, at one time, that the bulbs flickered when I turned it on. It hasn't flickered again but I'm wondering if that is a symptom that the bulbs are defective or are about to expire. Xenon bulbs are known to have long life and when I traded in our 7.5-year old FX35, the bulbs were still original. So, I haven't really experienced a xenon bulb expire and I would not know if a yellowish light is a symptom of that.

Anyone else have yellowish Xenon lights?

If the color temperature is the same, then it might be due to the age of the bulbs. I believe that the HIDs colorshift to a more blueish/whiter color over time, so you might have gotten used to the colorshifted appearance. I had noticed a similar effect when I had replaced my HIDs on my other car, the new bulbs seemed to shine a yellower color than the ones I replaced, it was apparent once I put one of the older bulbs back in.

HID's do indeed colorshift toward more blue as they age. Also, note that the projector setup and type also has a great deal to do with the final color temp output of the lamp ( i.e. the same HID bulb may display slightly different color temps when placed in 2 different projectors.)

If the color temp bothers you too much though, feel free to PM me and i can recommend a good source for a set of bulbs.

The color temp of CX9's bulbs is just lower than others.
I compared it to my wife's Prius with HID side by side.
It is that way from day one I got it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll wait a while for colorshifting to occur.

I installed 5150K Luminics fog bulbs on my CX-9 as well as on my 09 TL and they now make the HIDS on the CX-9 look like halogen. They are a perfect match for the HIDS on my TL which is why I bought them for the 9 so the HIDS on the 9 must a much lower temp. I was informed that the HIDS on my TL are 4300K and the fogs look amazing with them. I am guessing the 9's HIDS are more like 4000 or 3800K. I think you can buy fogs that are a lower temp so I may do that to get a better match( or I could change the HID bulbs I guess). Halogens are around 3000K so they have a little more yellowish in them. It seems like you need around 5000K to get that nice super white almost blue that most of us like.

I felt the same as well that the CX-9's HID is not as white. I now have the HID bulbs changed to 6000K it looks whiter but with less visibility than OEM. The fogs are also in HID but at 3000K so they work pretty well together to me.

Of course, if you go higher color temp, you get less brightness. The best brightness is about 4300K.
But I think around 5000K is the best combination.

^ I agree. The higher you go the more blue they look and the less light they give off. 5000 is bright with just a hint of blue. PIAA has 4100K fog bulbs for the CX-9 that would probably match the stock HIDS perfectly. I may get them just to have both lights match. Right now the 5150K fogs look amazing but coming down the road the HIDS look a little yellow in comparison.

Of course, if you go higher color temp, you get less brightness. The best brightness is about 4300K.

I think that the NHTSA or DOT mandates a certain color temperature so that the light isn't too blue and too harsh on the eyes of oncoming cars, if I recall it's something like 4100k to 4300k. Anything more blue than that becomes a glare issue, and as well more blue is more fatiguing for the driver. This is why a simple aftermarket conversion kit is considered problematic since the entire optical design of a halogen headlamp system was not made for a HID beam pattern.

Then again, 5000k won't be too harsh at all, I'd be worried with something in the 8000k or so.

I think that the NHTSA or DOT mandates a certain color temperature so that the light isn't too blue and too harsh on the eyes of oncoming cars, if I recall it's something like 4100k to 4300k. Anything more blue than that becomes a glare issue, and as well more blue is more fatiguing for the driver. This is why a simple aftermarket conversion kit is considered problematic since the entire optical design of a halogen headlamp system was not made for a HID beam pattern.

Then again, 5000k won't be too harsh at all, I'd be worried with something in the 8000k or so.

Ha! This article seems rather timely: Too-bright headlights? New technology causing concerns for some drivers.

It's all these jokers that put these aftermarket wanna-be HIDs on their beaters that are ruining it for everyone.

I really doubt that the bulb is less bright because of its higher color temp. I believe it is the type of bulb that is actually less efficient than the OEM, period. There is a lot of discrepancies in non OEM bulbs and I think a lot of aftermarket bulbs are just not at the quality level the OEM are.

Hi all

I am new the CX-9 forum. I have a newly acquired 2010 touring CX-9. I was reading your postings....well it happens that I just replaced the CX-9's ugly yellowish fogs with 5K HID's and they match the headlights perfectly. I must say the Cx-9 was the easiest swap over. I could access the fogs from the engine bay and had different options to mount the ballast. I got my LED's and HID's from:
http://www.v-leds.com/

for your replacement guide:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

This kit was plug and play.....a recommended upgrade!!!

Back