WTB: Tokico Illuminas and Linear springs - Protege (not P5)

Protege2886

:
'99 Protege
WTB: Illuminas, linear springs, or used coilovers

Moved to Michigan recently and left my BMW track toy (and it's glorious coilovers) back home. I'd like to stiffen up the protege for auto-x next season but don't want to spend a ton of money on coils.

I'm looking for a set of tokico illuminas and/or linear springs.
I'd also consider used illuminas

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited:
If you're serious about auto-x, you'll probably have more luck finding some good used coil-overs than a set of illuminas...Those adjustable struts are so expensive new; most guys just spent another 100 or 200 and bought true coil overs...so its pretty unlikely you'll find some quickly...these cars never had a very good selection of aftermarket springs that used aggressive and linear rates (S-techs are linear, but still very soft), either...so basically, if you are really into to dialing in the handling for auto-x...coil-overs is really the only ideal option.

So only a suggestion...there were some JIC's in the FS section a few weeks ago...not sure if they sold...I bought a set of Tein SS coil overs a month ago for $900 shipped...and they were 100% new in box...blown away by them. Just saying, lots of stuff pops up pretty often...for great prices.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

I'm going into my 5th season of auto-x and I know that coilovers are the way to go and that's why I have GC coilovers for my 318is track project.

That car is back home in Canada while I am now living in Michigan. I don't need "the ultimate" solution, I just need the cheap solution. I have tokico blues and evotion springs which have done the trick the last couple of seasons. Moving to linear springs would already be a step up. Just trying to get a little more out of the car for the least amount of $$$.

Last edited:
Ah ok, i see...I'll keep an eye out for some illumina's then, just don't see them very often thats all. I was meaning that good used coilovers often go for about $500-600 on here, where as if someone did pull some illuminas off, they'd likely only be a little cheaper (considering they're over $850 new)...and you'd still have to source linear springs....so in a lot of cases, used coilovers may actually be the cheaper alternative...and much easier to find.

check the astina gt forums too...Shipping will suck because of everything being in Australia, but it will broaden the search...might find what you're looking for.

Ah ok, i see...I'll keep an eye out for some illumina's then, just don't see them very often thats all. I was meaning that good used coilovers often go for about $500-600 on here, where as if someone did pull some illuminas off, they'd likely only be a little cheaper (considering they're over $850 new)...and you'd still have to source linear springs....so in a lot of cases, used coilovers may actually be the cheaper alternative...and much easier to find.

check the astina gt forums too...Shipping will suck because of everything being in Australia, but it will broaden the search...might find what you're looking for.

I hadn't thought of the astina forums! Good call - yes shipping will suck.
If a used set of coilovers happens to come up in that price range, I'd go for those. Ideally 500-700$is the max I want to spend. This is more of a "want" than a "need".

Back