which engine oil/s is best for Canadian weather?

:
03 MSP OJ
might be a noob question ppl asked over and over XD help me choose one

synthetic or non-synthetic (heard mazda doesnt like synthetic, or just apply to old rotary engine?)

0w30, 5w30, 10w30,15w30? (the smaller for colder weather? for ontario, 5w30 for winter and 10w30 for summer should be good?)

the brands i find in canadiantire and walmart are listed below

royal purple? mobil? Castrol? Motomaster? shell? quaker state? pennzoil? valvoline?

oh yea, i am asking for Msp stock engine,stock boost

and if w40 are working for msp? for track msp?

Last edited:
I use regular 5w30 year round and have used pennzoil exclusively. Also available at Canadian Tire.

Last edited:
castrol 0w40 and 10w40 come out much cleaner than castrol 5w30 , except castrol edge professional series

does it work on msp then?

if your seals are doing okay (say, less than 150km on them) I would consider switching to synth. I use royal purple 5w30 and I like it

i just got some castrol high mileage 5w30 on sale nearly $5 a Liter

and mobil performance filter $15

gonna do my DIY oil change next time when i get a day off LOL

mine is 126k km. the engine wall is slightly greasy and dirty, so it might feel leaky already?

rotary engines are why many people will say 'mazdas do not like synthetic'...rotary engines intentionally burn oil as part of the combustion process, and standard oils are much better for that...as well as cheaper.

but as far as the FS...I've seen threads of 200,000 mile engines being opened up and have nearly brand new compression, seeing the factory swirls from honing, etc....and the correlation i've noticed is that most of these engines in such great shape came from a single owner...running some form of synthetic through the life of the car.

I would always recommend synthetic...for an FS in a mostly colder climate, the manual recommends 5w30...if you get relatively hot summers, it recommends 10w30 to keep hot idle pressure high...I've been a 5w30 for winter, 10w30 for summer for years...but i'm in a spot that gets 100+ degree summers...and 10 degree winters...

Back