Gas Weekly-$60
Mods-$619
Maintianance-$66.66

being 20 years old sucks

Last edited:
2001 MP - white
Bought Sep of 2005 with 110,xxx miles.
Driven 44,xxx miles since then.

All are monthly expenses, unless otherwise specified.

Purchase Price or Monthly Payment: Paid in full, bought for $5800 w/$2000 down.
Insurance Costs: $66
Fuel: $200
Modifications: $0 so far...
Regular Maintenance: $20
Repairs: recent $19 for a coil pack, buying another within a week or two. Nothing monthly though.
Tickets: $0

$286 a month or so. Not bad.

On the heels of the Miles to Mods Ratio topic, I though it would be really interesting to have people post on their actual cost of ownership and break that down per mile or day.

What I'm talking about in actual cost of ownership is:
  • Purchase Price or Monthly Payment
  • Insurance Costs
  • Fuel
  • Modifications
  • Regular Maintenance (i.e., Fluids, Tires, Washing/Detailing, Dealer or Self-Billed Labor)
  • Repairs
  • Tickets

Of course, I doubt most of us save every receipt, so guestimations on things like fuel cost will do. I'm rounding to the nearest dollar.
Here's my breakdown of what I have spent so far owning my Mazdaspeed3:
  • Down/Monthly Payments: $5156
  • Insurance Costs: $805
  • Fuel: $1835
  • Modifications: $3212
  • Maintenance: $895
  • Repairs: $0
  • Tickets: $710

Total: $12613

Miles Driven: 11,237
Cost of Ownership per Mile: $1.12

Days Owned: 227
Cost of Ownership per Day: $55.56
Cost of Ownership per Month: $1666.80

How did you spend $895 for maintenance????
i figure the first maint. at 5k miles is free, then the second one at 10k miles with oil change and tire rotation would be about $70.

for me:
payment: paid in full, so i paid 25k
insurance: 90/mo
gas: 150/mo
tickets: 0
mods: 0
maint: 0
3000 miles so far
2 months ownership

so according to your method:
$30,000/3000 miles = $10/mile!!

Not rich by any means. Glad I took care of my '02 WRX the way I did. It was in super nice condition at 104K. Plus, it had a slew of mods on it. The sales thread is still up here if you're curious. A lot of time and money went into it, that's why I'm gonna stay as stock as possible this time around.

Me and my wife has been saving up money, and it turns out we got a good deal on a used '08 MS3 and could afford to buy it out right. Not braggin', just more thankful than anything that we don't have a car debt. Now the house payment is an entirely different issue :)

Not rich by any means. Glad I took care of my '02 WRX the way I did. It was in super nice condition at 104K. Plus, it had a slew of mods on it. The sales thread is still up here if you're curious. A lot of time and money went into it, that's why I'm gonna stay as stock as possible this time around.

Me and my wife has been saving up money, and it turns out we got a good deal on a used '08 MS3 and could afford to buy it out right. Not braggin', just more thankful than anything that we don't have a car debt. Now the house payment is an entirely different issue :)

Wasnt implying you were rich, just lamenting my own finances.

Knee, I think its the tickets that puts you over the top. I assume they are all parking violations.

Wow, your monthly payment is really low! You must have put about 10k down or something huh. Oh and your insurance is very low as well, I would love to pay what you pay. If you think $650 a month is a "huge" expensive then you would probably have a heart attack if you knew what my self and others are paying!

Car: $475.00
Insurance: $171.00
Gas: $300.00
MISC: $25.00
Total: $971.00

* I make pretty decent money so it's not killing me or anything.

Yeah, I put $10k down. Car was $25k and change OTD. 5 year loan at 5.39%. I drive a lot, so in order not to be upside down inside of a year or two, I needed to put a good amount down. I pay $1,287 a year for insurance in NJ with USAA. I'm 31 years old, married, no tickets and one accident in 2004 that was my fault. That's for $300k/500k/100k coverage, but I have a multicar discount with another car.

I have mods. Forgot to add those. $800 worth.

How did you spend $895 for maintenance????
i figure the first maint. at 5k miles is free, then the second one at 10k miles with oil change and tire rotation would be about $70.

for me:
payment: paid in full, so i paid 25k
insurance: 90/mo
gas: 150/mo
tickets: 0
mods: 0
maint: 0
3000 miles so far
2 months ownership

so according to your method:
$30,000/3000 miles = $10/mile!!

I'm the second owner of the car. I bought it with 10K miles on the clock, so after I drove it for 11K, I bought a set of tires at $420 plus shipping and installation. Also, I'm lazy, so I've had the dealer do my oil changes. I also counted running it through the car wash in the winter and billed myself at a conservative $40/hr for installing mods.

With my method, the cost of ownership goes down the longer you have the car ;-)

Knee, I think its the tickets that puts you over the top. I assume they are all parking violations.

That would be a hell of a lot of parking tickets LOL!
Actually, when I bought the car, the previous owner has 10% tint all the way around and I was getting popped for it all the time here in PA. After five tickets for that, I'd had enough of the looking sexy tax.
I got popped for 80 in a 55 a couple of weeks ago. :-(

Last edited:
Yeah, I put $10k down. Car was $25k and change OTD. 5 year loan at 5.39%. I drive a lot, so in order not to be upside down inside of a year or two, I needed to put a good amount down. I pay $1,287 a year for insurance in NJ with USAA. I'm 31 years old, married, no tickets and one accident in 2004 that was my fault. That's for $300k/500k/100k coverage, but I have a multicar discount with another car.

I have mods. Forgot to add those. $800 worth.

You're doing very well for yourself then.

yeah, there are a lot of people in better shape than me in here.

i'd like to consider myself 'financially challenged'. i'm only 21 though, i'll learn sooner or later about responsibility.

370/mo (15 year loan) haha.
100/mo for farmers

i don't drive it a ton so i don't spend a lot on gas and i've only gotten 3 oil changes so maintenance isn't very high either. and i have about $600 in mods. i barely/don't scrape by but i'm not complaining. :)

i'd like to consider myself 'financially challenged'. i'm only 21 though, i'll learn sooner or later about responsibility.

100/mo for farmers

i don't drive it a ton so i don't spend a lot on gas and i've only gotten 3 oil changes so maintenance isn't very high either. and i have about $600 in mods. i barely/don't scrape by but i'm not complaining. :)

15yr loan? WTF over...

100/mo for farmers

15yrs? Are you serious? That is like buying almost 3 cars....

100/mo for farmers

That's gotta be a typo. If you put nomoney down and are paying $370 a month for 15 years, you're going to pay $66,600 on your MS3. If that's the case, being "financially challenged" was an understatement! 5 years maybe? That'd be $22,200.

That's gotta be a typo. If you put nomoney down and are paying $370 a month for 15 years, you're going to pay $66,600 on your MS3. If that's the case, being "financially challenged" was an understatement! 5 years maybe? That'd be $22,200.

Not to mention that there is no financial institution that's gonna finance a $23,000 car for that long.

haha.

jeez guys. it was a joke. haha.

:)

i think it's a 6 year loan. MIGHT be 7, i'm not positive.

Back