Whats the best speakers i can get for the Mazdaspeed Protege??

cheapest 5 channel i found was 300 bucks thats crazy talk... Should i just run the doors on theyre own and a sub off an amp and call it a day?

cheapest 5 channel i found was 300 bucks thats crazy talk... Should i just run the doors on theyre own and a sub off an amp and call it a day?

You're Gona pay for sound quality, I cheapens out on a used off brand amp when mine died and it sounded like s***. 2 amps would be better though

if you go with a component set with built in cross overs, then I'd get an amp, regular speakers will sound fine with a good head unit.

I gotta say it makes me face palm when I hear someone ask for the 'best' speakers, and then balks at spending $300 for a _5 channel_ amp.

Even a decent 2ch amp shouldn't cost less than $150... $100/ch is baseline for a reasonable quality amp IMO..

If you're going to upgrade, it behooves you to do it right. Esp if the system has been modified from what was an already decent stock system.

To be honest, if budget is a concern, consider going with a 2.1 system instead of a 4.1 system. The rear speakers (sort of like rear brakes) aren't doing the heavy lifting anyway.

In your configuration, if it were me, I'd get a decent 3ch amp, run two good front components, Kenwood or JL TRs even. Then run two 6" (JL 6w3's perhaps...) subs in the rear deck, infinite baffle style. You'd have a great full sounding system, you could ignore the rear speakers for the moment, and with a deck thats crossed over you'd be able to really tune to get good clean volume that won't be overly 'boom'

^ this for the winner of the chicken dinner! Keep it clean and simple and build if you feel the need later on.

I'm still using the OG stereo setup (gasp) with no mods and I've no complaints as I'm not keen on letting everyone in a two block radius know I'm coming/going.

I gotta say it makes me face palm when I hear someone ask for the 'best' speakers, and then balks at spending $300 for a _5 channel_ amp.

Even a decent 2ch amp shouldn't cost less than $150... $100/ch is baseline for a reasonable quality amp IMO..

If you're going to upgrade, it behooves you to do it right. Esp if the system has been modified from what was an already decent stock system.

To be honest, if budget is a concern, consider going with a 2.1 system instead of a 4.1 system. The rear speakers (sort of like rear brakes) aren't doing the heavy lifting anyway.

In your configuration, if it were me, I'd get a decent 3ch amp, run two good front components, Kenwood or JL TRs even. Then run two 6" (JL 6w3's perhaps...) subs in the rear deck, infinite baffle style. You'd have a great full sounding system, you could ignore the rear speakers for the moment, and with a deck thats crossed over you'd be able to really tune to get good clean volume that won't be overly 'boom'

Haha, Yeah maybe the (BEST) speakers Wasnt the right word to use... I do that kind of stuff all the time... I meant Whats a good setup i can get so my system doesnt sound like a bag of s*** and yes price is a concern im not gonna dump a toooon of time or money in putting speakers in my car.. I just want something that will sound nice..

Getting 2 JL audio 8" subs in a enclosed box and an alpine MRV-F450 5 channel AMP from work for cheap... Any thoughts? I also Have a 12" Alpine Type E Sub Enclosed in a box At home from a long time ago...

well by looking at your user name, im assuming you listen to some form of rock music. if that's the case then the 8's will be a better choice. i have a single 12 in my p5 and i listen to all forms of music, hip hop or anything with a deep beat sounds great but the 12 lacks the punch of a 10 or 8 during rock music.

Yeah I like all sorts of music I just bought these 8" JL Audio's From work and I still have the single 12" alpine sub as well.. But now since I just got a 5 channel Alpine amp MRV-F450 and 2 mono amps An MRP-M650 and MRP-M450 I think im going to hook up the front speakers rear speakers rear deck speakers and the 8" JL audio subs or 12" Alpine sub and that should be a pretty good sound I think?? What are your thoughts on something like that? Or do you guys have any Idea's of what you guys would do with what I now have?

could always ditch the 6x9's and put the 8's on the rear deck, and put the 12 in the trunk....depends on your skill level and how far you want to go. it could end up sounding amazing if tuned correctly, or complete s*** if half assed....also not sure if you mentioned what head unit you are using, thats a major component.

Yeah.. I have a couple Head units that i have to choose from ill post the model numbers when i get home from work... And that would be bad ass if the 8's could go in the rear deck.. didnt really think about that.. Would they mount right in there?

So I have a crappy sony Xplod Head unit in my car now.. No usb or Aux or anything... Very basic crap.. But at my house i also have A Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI which has USB/AUX, I Also have a Kenwood KDC-248U With USB/AUX And last but not Least a Kenwood KVT-512...

the KDC looks to be on the lower end, i would personally use the KVT. Im not a fan of anything sony, EXCEPT the old school amps they produced when they started getting into mobile audio. just by-pass the driver safety mode with a switch, wire in the amps and you'd be good. As far as the 8's just mounting in the rear deck....no. this is where doing it right and half assing it comes into play bro. make the proper mounts and find out the specs for the speakers, make a custom box to mount underneath the rear deck, seal it, glass it, and enjoy it.

Im going to talk to a car audio shop this weekend to see what they can do with what i have available and how much it will cost... Because i do want it done right.. But I was wondering... If I got some Kicker Speakers for all the doors and the rear deck and also had the 2 JL audio subs in the trunk and have the kenwood KVT Head unit.. All that together would the kicker speakers go good with the JL audio Subs And my alpine amps? Because i got lucky with the price i paid for the subs from getting them from work but JL audio Speakers are pricey as all hell...

they are all decent brands, i dont see why not. as long as you stay away from the off brand "HIGH POWER" crap out there you should be fine. if you're extremely anal about sound quality, dont mix brands, but for the most part you wont be able to tell a difference.

The BS about not mixing brands is just that.. BS.. JL amps and Kenwood speakers? cool. Alpine components, JL subs and kenwood amps.. great.. go nuts! Good equipment is good equipment. I wouldn't mix brands of say tweeters and woofers, but that's a somewhat different consideration.

As far as a cabinet in the trunk vs sub firing into the cabin? I'm really failing to see how a sealed cabinet firing through the trunk is going to yield better fidelity than drivers in an infinite baffle configuration firing into the cabin.. but i dunno.. maybe those couple of years of acoustics courses messed me up a bit...

full disclosure: I work as a professional recoding engineer and build audio amplifiers for a living.

I changed out my stocks for kickers and have 2 polks 12's int the trunk with a kicker amp. But I also have sound deadener everywhere back there so mine is probably cleaner than most people's on here.

All I did to the stock Kenwood was replace the sub with a JL 8w12 @ 4 oms. ( I think? Traded the MSP in '06! Only 35k miles on it! *sigh*)

Back