What's bent?

Cellerator

:
2012 Mazda 3i Skyactiv Hatchback
Alright, a few months back when we had this massive ice storm out in lubbock/most of tx, I was cruising around and when I had left my apartment, it hadn't quite snowed enough to worry. Anyways, on my way back, the road became somewhat slick but I could handle it up until I reached my apartment complex where the road curves down like this:

______
|||||||\

except for that slant is more of a 20 degree decline and as I usually do, I slow down and get on that decline to get out of the way of traffic except as soon as I hit it, I lost all traction (keep in mind I kept steady on the gas pedal and didn't hit the brakes yet but was going about 20mph since it was icy out). Anyways, i tried countersteering out and gassing out of it with no luck so I tried braking at the last minute but no luck and blam, hit the curb. Now, the impact was probably around 10-15mph and I had my steeringwheel cocked all the way to the left but started straightening it out incase of damaging the steering column in anyway.

After all is said and done, I went to the dealer to get an alignment and their computers couldn't align it 100% and they said something was bent and they tried finding out what it was but no luck so I figured it's much straighter than it was before so I left. Well, being a college student, there isn't much time where you can truly sit down and check out what's been done so I went and checked it out today and at first I thought the control arm would be bent but comparing it to the left side, it doesn't look like that's the case so I'm looking for any other suggestions as to what it could be without having to take it to the dealer to check it out since I think they'd charge me just to check it out.

inner or outer tie rod, check your bushings around your control arms to make sure they are in place properly, a bent strut or strut mounting could throw off your readings too.

Comparing both sides against another is a good indicator. Study a single part off the good side and then look at only that part on the other. Keep changing parts until you find something odd.

Back