What to do with spare P5

ucnr

:
Mazda Protege5
I have two Protege5 hatchbacks. One has 217k miles, black, 2003, no sunroof, manual, clean interior, $1700 in April 2014. It needs the A/C compressor, muffler gasket, and clutch replaced soon and some engine mount, chassis weld repair done.

The other one has 168k miles, black, 2002, has a sunroof, came with two damaged manual transmissions, modded with hi-flow exhaust, removed catalytic converter, 626 intake, tuned ECM, forged connecting rods, new racing clutch, new struts, tinted windows. Wheels need paint and new tires. Interior was contaminated with a mouse infestation. $500 in March 2015.

I have a spare automatic transmission with 248k miles that I have road tested and know works. Also have all of the additional parts needed to convert one of these cars to an automatic, including starter plate bolts, brake pedal, cable linkages, automatic ECM, etc. I also have those two broken manual transmissions which could be rebuilt into a single good unit. I have no experience or instructions on how to rebuild a protege manual transmission though, and I have not found ANY reasonably priced manual transmissions on craigslist or at the scrapyard for the last four months.

Should I take the transmission out of the 217k P5 and install it in the 168k P5 and convert the 217k to an automatic? Or, should I buy a replacement clutch, and continue to wait until a manual transmission becomes available for the 168k? The intention is to eventually sell the 168k P5 since it has lower mileage.

Why not buy a manual trans from any random salvage yard through Car-Part.com and have it shipped to you? It's not very expensive that way, esp. if you have access to a shipping/loading dock to receive. If the whole country is your potential source, you have a lot more low-cost options.

I have two Protege5 hatchbacks. One has 217k miles, black, 2003, no sunroof, manual, clean interior, $1700 in April 2014. It needs the A/C compressor, muffler gasket, and clutch replaced soon and some engine mount, chassis weld repair done.

The other one has 168k miles, black, 2002, has a sunroof, came with two damaged manual transmissions, modded with hi-flow exhaust, removed catalytic converter, 626 intake, tuned ECM, forged connecting rods, new racing clutch, new struts, tinted windows. Wheels need paint and new tires. Interior was contaminated with a mouse infestation. $500 in March 2015.

I have a spare automatic transmission with 248k miles that I have road tested and know works. Also have all of the additional parts needed to convert one of these cars to an automatic, including starter plate bolts, brake pedal, cable linkages, automatic ECM, etc. I also have those two broken manual transmissions which could be rebuilt into a single good unit. I have no experience or instructions on how to rebuild a protege manual transmission though, and I have not found ANY reasonably priced manual transmissions on craigslist or at the scrapyard for the last four months.

Should I take the transmission out of the 217k P5 and install it in the 168k P5 and convert the 217k to an automatic? Or, should I buy a replacement clutch, and continue to wait until a manual transmission becomes available for the 168k? The intention is to eventually sell the 168k P5 since it has lower mileage.

An automatic conversion is a lot of work.

The little manual transmissions in these cars don't weigh very much, they can be easily crated and shipped UPS/Fedex for 50 bucks. Shouldn't be hard to find one from a member on here.

Latest posts

Back