What kinda gas?

rapter

Contributor
:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand touring
hey ok so i pulled up to a gas station (husky) or mohwak
and they have 90 octane reg and 94 octane sup.
But they both have 10% ethenol.

Is that bad or good for
1. My mazda protege which is naturally aspriated?
2. For mazdaspeed 6, turbo cars?

thanks dudes

Turbo cars NEEEEED premium. The higher the octane number the better.

2006 MS6's REQUIRE 93 or above.
2007 MS6's (2006 MS6's with Mazda Reflash) and all MS3's REQUIRE atleast 91
2007 CX-7 requires 91, but I think the 2008's need only 87.

Basically, run the best you can buy.

As far as naturally aspirated, the protege only needs 87. You dont need to go up in octane for naturally aspirated cars unless you have a high compression ratio.

You can't really do anything about the 10% ethanol. Its being mixed in all the gas to supposedly help with our dependence on foreign oil. It does help with knock resistance, but MPG goes down a bit as there is less heating value in it.

I accidently threw 92 in my tank when I stopped at a Wawa a few months back. I caught it about 1/2 way through filling but it was still enough to freak me out/piss me off. I babied the car for that tank and then filled it back up with 93 after that was gone. Ran fine, though. I wish there was a station that sold 94 around me. Sunoco used to but not anymore. :(

What brand do you all recommend? I'm using either Exxon or Shell. Occassionally I'll put Sheetz in.

I accidently threw 92 in my tank when I stopped at a Wawa a few months back. I caught it about 1/2 way through filling but it was still enough to freak me out/piss me off. I babied the car for that tank and then filled it back up with 93 after that was gone. Ran fine, though. I wish there was a station that sold 94 around me. Sunoco used to but not anymore. :(

What brand do you all recommend? I'm using either Exxon or Shell. Occassionally I'll put Sheetz in.

lol you dont want to come to california.

91 octane is the highest lol

i use BP personally, but thats really only because i have a bp credit card.

Turbo cars NEEEEED premium. The higher the octane number the better.

2006 MS6's REQUIRE 93 or above.
2007 MS6's (2006 MS6's with Mazda Reflash) and all MS3's REQUIRE atleast 91
2007 CX-7 requires 91, but I think the 2008's need only 87.

Basically, run the best you can buy.

As far as naturally aspirated, the protege only needs 87. You dont need to go up in octane for naturally aspirated cars unless you have a high compression ratio.

You can't really do anything about the 10% ethanol. Its being mixed in all the gas to supposedly help with our dependence on foreign oil. It does help with knock resistance, but MPG goes down a bit as there is less heating value in it.

actualy yeah i do have a high compression ratio on my protege i always fill at least 90 with it.

But like i said i never really considered the 10% ethanol, like what that really does.

So thanks man, as long as its not harmfull to my car i really dont care. even if MPG is a tad down.

thanks for the info dude. and yeah the speed 6 try to fill up with 93
That reflash tho for the 2006 can taht allow you to get 91.

cause like buddy said in Cali you can only get 91, so how do you guys deal with that in your speed 6's???

Back