what is wrong with my msp?

bteach15

:
mazdaspeed protege
just recently i have noticed my msp has been blowing smoke out of the exhaust and it smells like oil. also my car hesitates around 4k rpm's and 5k and it backfires way more than it did when i bought the car. so is my turbo blown? or are the o-rings on the oil return line bad? boost leak? any guesses word be greatly appreciated thanks!

also the only mods on the car are corksport exhuast (which also has a leak) and injen cai

A good place to start is to check the hose from the turbo to the intake for oil residue. That's a sure sign your turbo has problems.

I will say that I have the smokey exhaust problem you have and I'm pretty sure it is bad valve stem seals. I don't have any of the other symptoms you're describing though

Thanks I will start there. And I can see like a small stream of smoke come off the turbo when I turn the car off and look under the hood. There is also residue coating the turbo . Hard to explain with no pictures but you get the idea but thanks for the help I'll look into it.

Have you ever replaced the seals on the turbo oil line? If you see smoke from burning oil as well as oil residue you definitely have a leak somewhere, and that oil line is the easiest place to start looking.

It's most likely coming from the turbo, the valve seals can leak but usually don't until the motor has a lot of miles. Is the boost still the same level and does it hold consistently?

Back