What is this 2014 CX-5 part? Clunk sound

I have a clunk that only occurs during hard turns at lower speed and/or after backing up.

Most notable Example- When leaving a parking garage from the 5th floor the wheel gets cut all the way down and it makes the noise upon bringing the wheel back toward straight. The car drives normally and takes bumps well. However, in times when I park in a garage during full turns, these noises are now typical whereas, a month or 2 ago there were no noises.

Here is the photo, my CX-5 is a 2014 sport with 115,000 miles.

IMG_2296.jpeg

Looks like you have a worn out front stabilizer link, P/N: KD35-34-170. It’s a common problem and you may want to get a pair to replace both.

I replaced mine last year on my 2014 Touring. Here's a bit of info.
1) I used a 14mm deep socket for the nut in case a regular depth socket wasn't deep enough.
2) If using a wrench on the nut, a small (5 mm? -- not sure) allen wrench fits in the center of the threaded stud to keep it from turning.
3) On mine, the stud kept turning when trying to loosen the nut (the end of the stud has a ball which fits into a socket on the round end). So a pair of needle nose vise grips, clamped tightly over the rubber boot gripped the stud and allowed me to spin the nut off with an impact. You might try an impact first and get lucky . Also, lacking any needle nose vise grips, the round socket can be pried off exposing the ball which can then be gripped with regular pliers or vise grips.

That's the connection for a stabilizer end link. It connects the stabilizer bar to the chassis. There is nothing visibly wrong with besides dirt.

They can be a pain to get off if they're even a bit rusty.
My 2002 Pathfinder went through those regularly, and it was easier to cut them off than to try and unbolt them.
My 6 had a broken link under the rear suspension this spring, and I couldn't get it off.
I had to pay the dealer one hour labour to change them out (did both sides)

yeah, I just today changed my passenger side end link and wow, the clunking noises stopped. When I have time, I'll replace the driver side also to eliminate the sounds entirely. Didn't notice the end link boot was busted etc until I went underneath to change my belt tensioner pulley and serpentine belt. Luckily I have two new end links.

$10 four inch grinder from harbor freight with skinny cutoff wheels take them off too

Back