vibrating @ 40mph+ and fan noise

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
When I first turn the fan speed up to 4, there is a slight sound, sort of like a hum. Any idea what it could be? It just recently started happening. It only occurs on setting 4, and only for the first few minutes, when the fan first starts up.

at 40mph +, I've noticed a considerable amount of increased vibrations.
I'm not having any idle issues, and the vibrations aren't there at high RPM's, just at 40 mph +.

If it were motor mounts, I would assume the vibrating would act up at high RPMS, not high mph's, right?

It feels sort of like a flat tire, but I checked and all the tires have 31 psi of air.

I did recently have a tire patched at pepboys, they took the tire off to do so. I'm hoping they didn't put it on wrong and forget to tighten up any bolts... they did forget to replace the cap on the air nozzle...

Any idea what the vibrating could be?

I also suspect my endlinks to be bad, but I don't think that would cause this problem...

1. The fan switches on four draw a lot of current. I noticed when i pulled the connector off the back it was melty... :( I suspect the fan will soon stop working on 'four'.

2. The vibes could be a out of balance wheel, cupped tire, or bad bearings. I assume you already checked the lug torques. I am doubtful the patch weighs enough to throw off the balance... Try rotating front to rear and see if the problem changes...

If they didn't mark the original position of the tire and installed it in different position withouit checking the balance that could be the problem. Moving the tire to a different position on the rim will upset the balance. As mantioned most patches aren't heavy enough to change the balance.

Clifton

Alright, so I guess I should go somewhere and get my alignment checked? and rotate the tires.

As for the fan, I guess I should take the dash out and check the wires/connections. would replacing the wires with a smaller gauge solve the issue?

my dad drove my car around and said he thinks it sounds like an exhaust bracket might be broken and vibrating under the car. I'll check under the car tomorrow morning.

Have you checked your wheel bearings and CV axles? Are you getting just vibrations, or are you also getting motion in the steering wheel?

I remembered roughly something about doing zig-zags in the road while driving to test wheel bearings. Well I did that and no poping noise or anything.

After inspecting the situation, i've found the following problems:

-the passenger's wheel doesn't move while lifted on jack stands.
-there is a slight leak coming from the end of the J-pipe, where the 2 springs are.

problem #1, I'm guessing I'll need a new caliper. I'm thinking I might just replace all 3 of them ( i replaced 1 a few months ago for seizing).
I've been driving with this for a week or so, or possibly longer. Do you think I've damaged any other parts? (rotors? should I get new pads?)
would it be TERRIBLE if I continued to drive the car until the new calipers arrive?

And now... the exhaust. The previous owner said he had replaced the J pipe. After a few months of owning the car I realized there was a leak coming from the J pipe area. I replaced the springs and gasket/donut thingies around the leak. However, the leak is still there. I replaced the bolts as well (there were only 2 bolts where there should have been 3 in the triangle thing).

Its not a huge leak, but big enough for me to see it on a cold winter day. And the heat shield is missing (and has been missing since I bought the car).

Any idea what the leak could be from? There aren't any cracks.

Alright, so I guess I should go somewhere and get my alignment checked? and rotate the tires.

As for the fan, I guess I should take the dash out and check the wires/connections. would replacing the wires with a smaller gauge solve the issue?

Get them balanced. At least the patched one for sure. I am not sure the alignment is the problem.

Back