UR UDP Pulley + Belts Question -> Not what you think

magnumP5

:
'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS
Alright, so everyone knows the story by now: I got my UR UDP installed exactly two weeks ago and after about 5 days I got the dreaded squealing. Bear in mind I have those Goodyear Gatorback Belts that everyone raves about and I have them in the right size. Well the squealing, it turns out, was caused by the belts being loose (go figure, right) so this past Monday I tightened them up again. So four days with no squealing and I am happy assuming I have defeated the problem. Well go figure, this morning I start up my car and there it is again - but only for like 3 seconds (like it first did before). Well I get to work and popped the hood to check the belt tightness and it seems like once again, they are loose.

My question is: Are belts really supposed to stretch out this much, or do I have some problem with the tensioner? I was under the impression that belts weren't supposed to stretch out much at all and that's why I am so confused. Is there going to be some point when the belts will stop stretching out, or am I just going to have to tighten them every week until they break?

ChopstickHero said:
seems like almost everybody with a UDP gets squealing....

True, but the weird part is that after I tighten the belts the squealing goes away, and then a few days later it comes back. I'm really hoping this morning was a fluke and that when i start my car in an hour that everything will be fine.

I just wanted to know if anyone was experiencing similar problems with the belts.

If this keeps up I am going to try another set of belts and if that doesn't work - well, everyone will be seeing a UR UDP in the For Sale Section.

Luckily, I have not had any probs (crosses fingers). I have the RR-Racing udp. I recall reading somewhere that RR's pully has less squeal issues due to the fact that it is anodized, as opposed to the raw aluminum UR udp. It sounds like things are coming loose, as belts should not strech out in such a short period as you've described. Go back and retighten everything. You shouldn't have to, but you could try some Loctite blue. Worst case scenerio is that the belts got glazed (vulcanized) during the time that they have been squealing and then unfortunatly they will not shut-up and you'll need to buy new ones. I've used sandpaper with mixed results on glazed belts in the past - just do not ever use "belt dressing". Hope this helps ...

Bala de Plata said:
Luckily, I have not had any probs (crosses fingers). I have the RR-Racing udp. I recall reading somewhere that RR's pully has less squeal issues due to the fact that it is anodized, as opposed to the raw aluminum UR udp. It sounds like things are coming loose, as belts should not strech out in such a short period as you've described. Go back and retighten everything. You shouldn't have to, but you could try some Loctite blue. Worst case scenerio is that the belts got glazed (vulcanized) during the time that they have been squealing and then unfortunatly they will not shut-up and you'll need to buy new ones. I've used sandpaper with mixed results on glazed belts in the past - just do not ever use "belt dressing". Hope this helps ...
Hmm, that might be it. How can you tell if a belt is vulcanized? Right before I tightened them it was pretty much squealing through every gear (not good, I know). The only problem is that it doesn't explain why the belt would be fine for a few days then start to slip - even the fact that the pulley is almost a polished aluminum doesn't explain that. If the belts are vulcanized though I think I am going to go with the Gates Belts that UR says to use with this pulley.

magnumP5 said:
Hmm, that might be it. How can you tell if a belt is vulcanized? Right before I tightened them it was pretty much squealing through every gear (not good, I know). The only problem is that it doesn't explain why the belt would be fine for a few days then start to slip - even the fact that the pulley is almost a polished aluminum doesn't explain that. If the belts are vulcanized though I think I am going to go with the Gates Belts that UR says to use with this pulley.

The belt would look and feel shiny and smooth on the surface that touches the pulleys - and the squealing will be worse at cold start-ups. For what it's worth - I've got the Gates belts. If you end up deciding to get them, shoot me a pm and I'll get the part #'s for you.

Bala de Plata said:
The belt would look and feel shiny and smooth on the surface that touches the pulleys - and the squealing will be worse at cold start-ups. For what it's worth - I've got the Gates belts. If you end up deciding to get them, shoot me a pm and I'll get the part #'s for you.

**EDIT: Issue resolve by continuing to tighten belts. 2 weeks and no squealing so far...**

Cool thanks. I already have the part numbers (I made sure I had them before I even bought the UDP). I guess tonight I'll take the belts off completely instead of just tightening them that way I can take a good look at them.

I'm still trying to figure out why the belts start squeaking after a certain time period though. If the trend follows as it did last time the squealing will get worse and worse - that only implies stretching, loosening, or vulcanizing (or all three) but I've heard stretching is unlikely. I thought I made sure all the bolts were tight and I would figure vulcanizing would mean constant squealing during cold starts but I can't rule that out.

Last edited:
Alright, just a bump to ask a quick question. Is there a noise associated with overtightening belts? I just noticed that I have a little squeaking noise (not squealing) whenever I turn the a/c on. It definitely isn't a squeal, but a constant, fast paced "squeak squeak squeak..." whenever I'm just idling or starting from a stop. I have noticed that it goes away at like 1500 RPM or so, so I'm not sure if it's a belt issue (something more serious?). Just wondering if anyone else has has this little noise.

Back