Undiagnosed differential failure leads to transfer case?

hbendle

:
2010 CX-9 Touring
Hi folks,
Long-time lurker, learning much here. My 2010 AWD CX-9 Touring drivetrain issue dates back a bit:

This spring I started getting a -bump- sound from the rear when pulling away from a stop, especially on a curve. It got a bit worse and I decided to take it in to the dealer, it was still under warranty mileage. Before I could, I made a quick left across traffic and the -bump- turned into -BANG- and I thought I left my rear end in the intersection, it was that bad. It now drove without bump or grind but I figured something broke in the rear differential so took it in anyway.

As I feared, without a symptom to show they found nothing and claimed the rear drive was AOK, come back when I had something to show. I disagreed vocally but stopped short of paying them to open it up and look anyway. I don't think the AWD worked right ever since, but didn't have concrete symptoms to show.

Fast forward to now, when I got stuck in a muddy lot and filled my front wheels with mud while the rears stayed dry. Along with other symptoms described by others here for transfer case failures (bad traction, blinking 4WD light) I felt I had reason to go back. Sure enough, transfer case is now shot and they are working on it today. They gave me the "must have 4 matched tires" talk as explanation.

My question here is this: Are the two incidents one in the same problem, or did the differential bump/bang lead to the transfer case later on? My worry is that they'll fix the transfer case and whatever went bad in the rear will break the new one too.

@monoxidechild went through this with his CX-9, where they replaced the transfer case and it ended up being the rear differential that was bad. Hopefully he can chime in for you with more information, but I would keep talking to the dealer about the weird rear differential noises.

To update, they have the car a second day and now must replace(repair?) transmission --parts on order-- as the spline is sheared as well. I'm still wondering if after all is said and done the rear differential and/or coupling component still has a problem.

Going on a week now. Patience wears thin.
2 other questions related to this:
1) Any good list of service bulletins out there? A search through this forum and the web didn't come up with much detail. I already read the TSB related to transfer case but was looking for discussion of other TSB.
2) This started just under warranty mileage limits in the spring, but they "couldn't find anything". I am now on extended warranty (from Mazda dealer) mileage. Do dealers get some benefit by pushing off work to the extended warranty, even if it's still Mazda? I'm just questioning motives here, since the transfer case issue was known already as per TSB.
3) OK 3 questions then. Do I have a case to pay no deductible since I brought it in months ago?

Do all 4 tires match? You started talking about it earlier, but did not say whether you did.

No. I had replaced the front pair which had worn compared to the rear. I haven't measured difference in circumference.

Back