Toyota Tundra named Motor Trend 2008 Truck of the Year

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
dsc_0011_opt.jpg

Motor Trend awarded its 2008 Truck of the Year award, the last of its three yearly awards, to the Toyota Tundra today. New for the 2007 model year, the Tundra beat out the Chevy Silverado HD, GMC Sierra HD and Ford's line of F-250, -350 and -450 Super Duty trucks. What's interesting about MT's TOTY competition is that because these trucks have such a wide range of capabilities and purposes, they are not pitted against each other, bur rather against specific criteria determined by the magazine's editors. Each is scored in the areas of "superiority", "value", and "significance". They use this strategy in both the Car OTY and SUV OTY award competitions, as well.

While we think the Tundra is the most significant truck that hit the market this season, at least in terms of how it has increased competition in this segment to new levels, we're not so sure that it stacks up as well in the other two categories. For one, it's difficult to call the Tundra "superior" when it's been saddled with a number of quality issues, including most recently its first official recall of 15,600 trucks for a driveshaft issue. And how exactly is the Tundra a better value than its competitors in the class when all can be had with a bed full of rebates and incentives?

Our money was on the F-450 for this award, as the truly super truck from Ford is rather peerless in the market. But we're not the editors of Motor Trend, and it's their award to give to whomever they choose. We're sure they're ready for the onslaught of armchair automotive journalism that's coming their way. Toyota, no doubt, is thrilled with the honor. Expect to see new commercials for the Tundra with those golden calipers on the hood any day now as the automaker attempts a last ditch effort to reach its goal of selling 200,000 units in 2007.

What? Snapping camshafts, collapsing tailgates, and the driveshaft coming apart are problems for you?

Oh, and sub-par crash test ratings. Can't forget that part.

MT also labeled the 1991 Car of the Year as an RX-7...but their long term test vehicle had dozens of problems...seems like they just don't take everything into consideration.

I know the Tundras have serious issues with vibrations at highway speeds. Toyota's "answer" to this problem is to add ~200 lbs of weight to the rear end, behind the axle. Oops! Looks like someone forgot to account for harmonic vibration patterns within the frame and body. I do admit that I like their looks though...just sucks they are Toyota yet Not Quite Right.

I'd put my bud's 350 against that any day!

These awards are just for looks. Toyota, Nissan and Honda (if you can call their Ridgeline a truck) Make nice trucks for the city guys. But putting them to work hauling their max load every day for 100k miles and see how long they last.

Well, I think they're pretty much the only new truck on the market this year, aren't they? The MT award goes to an all-new or significantly revised truck, and I can't think of any others.

Well, I think they're pretty much the only new truck on the market this year, aren't they? The MT award goes to an all-new or significantly revised truck, and I can't think of any others.
OH, it has to be a new truck. Well that makes sense.

My 06 is flawless.
Guess I am happy I went with it over waiting for the 07s

What? Snapping camshafts, collapsing tailgates, and the driveshaft coming apart are problems for you?

Oh, and sub-par crash test ratings. Can't forget that part.

LOL Toyota must've bought a ****-ton of ads on MT.

(peep)

i know MT isn't exactly the pinnacle of automotive jounralism, but expecting them to accurately predict the future reliability of a brand-new model is asking a bit much. besides, the award is "most significant," not "best value" or "most reliable."

and it was the '93 RX-7 that won import car of the year. i'd say that car was significant, even if not a very good value.

I'd put my bud's 350 against that any day!

These awards are just for looks. Toyota, Nissan and Honda (if you can call their Ridgeline a truck) Make nice trucks for the city guys. But putting them to work hauling their max load every day for 100k miles and see how long they last.

the new tundra is in a whole different league from the old half-ass truck. my brother in law has one, and hauls his 9,000 lb camper all over the rocky mountains. time will tell, but he hasn't had a single problem w/ it.

we took a few long trips around new mexico in it, and only on a particular ribbed stretch of highway did i notice any vibration. (noticed it in a sedan as well).

and engine-wise, i doubt your bud's 350 is anywhere close unless it's supercharged. that toyota engine is a monster.

edit: and if they gave the tundra this award for "looks," something is seriously wrong with their eyes. that is not a good-looking vehicle.

Last edited:
the new tundra is in a whole different league from the old half-ass truck. my brother in law has one, and hauls his 9,000 lb camper all over the rocky mountains. time will tell, but he hasn't had a single problem w/ it.

So my truck is half-ass now?

I see how it is!

(sad2)

Back