tires, need better ones!

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
i live in texas and we have been extremely dry since these tires were put on, so i had not been in much more than a light passing shower, till a few days ago.These tires have been on a year now on my 03 p5 they are 205/50/16 yokohama yk580s (exclusive to discount tire) and the wet traction is just downright scary i had to make an avoidance maneuver on a wet road after it had rained for 2.5 days at about 35mph and the rear end came around under slight steering input and moderate braking the Michelins on there before never would have done this (the Michelins are impossible to find in my area now) anyone have any input on a good wet and dry tire? one that i can drive moderately hard on in dry conditions but that wont spin me out at 30mph in the rain?

I'm on my second set of Hankook's and they deliver outstanding wet and dry traction. Wet traction is always my #1 priority in a tire. Even when the first set was worn they still gripped in the wet. Not sure if they make the one's I have in your size.

Go to tire rack dot com and use your tire size to filter a few tires to meet your needs. Buying tires online and then getting them installed elsewhere has proven to be cost effective for me over the years. If you go that route still shop around online as both tire rack & discount do not have the best price shipped always. Keep your eye out for a manufacturer's or dealers rebate to make the deal even sweeter.

dunlop direzzas .

norcal: mostly dry the past few years, with some bouts of rain. always performed well

Even though my P5 is now totaled, I had about 5k on 4 Yokohama AVID Ascend 195/50-16 All-Season tires that saw mostly rain. I was that happy with how they handled on winding mountain roads in bad weather that I am going to put them on my next P5.

ya the yokohama yk580s were just too hard of a rubber for this car its too light. i got Continental sport a/s been on em for 2 days now and a very noticeable difference. much crisper response, better steering feel and it obviously has a much stiffer sidewall than the yokohamas did. took em on a back road (i drive often)right after i had em put on and they made the road much more fun, felt less body roll and took it at same pace as i did before and did not feel the limits of the tires, like i could feel with the yoko's i made a stupid mistake on the yokos as well they were H speed rated and our cars need W or higher (h is one down from w) in my area 195 50 16s are almost impossible to find so i get 205 50 16s which is what both the yokohamas and continentals are/were. i have yet to drive in wet conditions yet so cannot comment on them in that way but these tires seem like a 120% improvement so far. those yokohamas are downright scary in wet conditions(would be fun in an open empty parking lot though)

Back