Tired of trying need help!

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ok so ill start from the begining. When i first got the car ran great after tune up! Got 30-34 mpg, loved it! Couple of months went by and I decided to buy a sri. Bought a somito (something like that) stock intake size, and after about 2 days of driving I got a cel of running lean, couldnt figure it out. So I took the sri off and car was fine after that. So i figured I have a vaccum leak that was small prolly. I did find one, fixed it and ran it for a couple days. Now the car stumbles at idle. Checked everything I could and coundnt find anything so i took it to another shop that has a snapon scanner that I dont have, Bank 1 Sensor 1 was only reading .01-.02 volts at idle, and volts did not increase much under throttle. So MAYBE its a bad O2 from running lean so long. Replaced O2 and put stock intake back on, reset ecu again. Nothing! now its stumbles at idle and cuts out really bad under light or heavy throttle. Im starting to lean towards the fuel pump/filter. But I figured I would ask here real fast. This is really getting under my skin, I miss my car and just want to drive him! Summer time is coming and I wanna drive my car! Any help is awesome! Im going to try and get fuel pressure checked before replacing the fuel pump/filter. Oh and I have not got another cel back on since fixing the leak. So I have no clue which way to go.

Might be the EGR if you havent checked or cleaned that. Symptoms would include a rough idle, and if the valve is stuck open, power loss from excess gasses. Have you seen what the new CEL code is?

clean egr valve, replace spark plugs. If that does not help then do coil packs and wires. How do you know you were running lean?

I have no egr on thsi car. Its a 99 1.6 5 speed. Spark plugs, wires and coil pack all brand new. Went back to shop on my lunch and had it looked at again. He sprayed into intake and the O2 sensor came alive and the idle and everything went back to normal. So im starting to think fuel pump/filter. Question though can I use this fuel pump with my fuel filter and pump sock for stock, or sould i spend the extra and just get a stock fuel pump?
http://www.corksport.com/walbro-255-lph-fuel-pump.html

Also before I was running lean I had the cel coming on I was running lean. Now Idk whats going on besides car tried to died while driving. Which to me I think that is usually fuel pump or fuel delivery.

Thanks guys for responses!

I have no egr on thsi car. Its a 99 1.6 5 speed. Spark plugs, wires and coil pack all brand new. Went back to shop on my lunch and had it looked at again. He sprayed into intake and the O2 sensor came alive and the idle and everything went back to normal. So im starting to think fuel pump/filter. Question though can I use this fuel pump with my fuel filter and pump sock for stock, or sould i spend the extra and just get a stock fuel pump?
http://www.corksport.com/walbro-255-lph-fuel-pump.html

Also before I was running lean I had the cel coming on I was running lean. Now Idk whats going on besides car tried to died while driving. Which to me I think that is usually fuel pump or fuel delivery.

Thanks guys for responses!

weird...what did they spray into your intake?..I am not to sure what would be making the car try and die. Unless your intake is messing with the ecu making it pull fuel. - that's a good fuel pump, but I don't think it's necessary for your car. you can find a decently priced stock replacement at rockauto.com.

ok so I replaced the fuel pump and sock. Once again nothing. The weather is really nice outside and I should be driving my baby! LOL. Anyway the only other things left for fuel is regulator, injectors, and filter. Which by the way the filter is 100 bucks at mazda. Can anyone direct me to some places to buy a filter, regulator, and injectors for a decent price in case I need to buy them.

Thanks again!

bad or dirty maf sensor?

I ordered a fuel filter assembly today from rockauto for 44 shipped. So when that gets here ill get it put in and hope for the best. I was thinking back to when all this got started and shortly after I got my car I had a professional fuel system cleaning done and a couple tanks after that I started to notice a mpg loss. So my question is: can that possibly cause something in fuel system to get clogged and slowly get worse? Cause after this I'm moving towards fuel raid, injectors, then regulator. Since I'm not getting a cel I feel my problem lies in fuel system.

Any input?

Do a fuel pressure test, make sure your throttle body's not dirty, and how's your Converter could be clogged up hard to tell with out looking at it :( could be a few more things as well

Never thought about converter. Wouldn't that usually flag a cel? Nobody I know has right gauge to check fuel pressure. But speaking of fuel pressure has anyone installed a fuel pressure gauge under the hood? Like a permanent one. If so how did you do it and where did you buy gauge from. I'm prolly going to slowly replace fuel system till it gets fixed. Won't hurt anyway car prolly needs it anyway. Lol

Ok so I finally got my fuel filter in. Once again nothing! This is getting under my skin so bad it's not even funny a week without my car is a sin. The test drive felt so good just driving my car. But I really need this problem fixed! I need my car and I have car shows to get ready for and can't do that till car gets fixed.

Well I think I'm to the point of maybe not a fuel issue. Dang this thing flys around a lot. Lol. I'm going to get my timing belt and components changed along with water pump. I am also going to try another O2 sensor. Maybe though. I need to have timing belt done anyway as to I figure its never been changed. I'm at point of throwing stuff at it and hoping for best. Thanks guys for help. And also there are no cracks in intake. Stock or Sri. And still no check engine light.

Throwing parts at the car is an expensive, time-consuming, and foolish way to fix a problem. There's still plenty for you to check, including the electrical system (new parts does not mean they are working correctly) and the injectors (which you do not seem to have tested). The Haynes or Mazda shop manual will show you how to trace through each system methodically (and quickly!) until you find the problem.

Well I'm not 100% sure what the problem was but I have replaced fuel pump, filter, O2 sensor, maf, couple vacuum line hoses. No avail, then I seafoamed my car and replaced pcv valve gasket as to it was creating a pretty good vacuum leak. Not sure how I missed it before but I did lol. Put Sri back on and my car is running pretty dang good now. Going to get timing belt changed soon as to I'm unsure if its ever been replaced. And yea I'm doing belt, tensioner, and water pump with it. Car is running pretty good though, going to run a couple more days and then replace plugs again since those have went through so hell lately. Thanks all for the help! Sorry for sounding stubborn at times, just hate when my car hits pms mode cause it puts me behind on fixing up plans.

Latest posts

Back