Tire Pressure overfilled at dealer (I assume)

I just don't understand the change on new TPMS for no reason at this time which only increases the manufacturing and maintenance cost with no other benefit. (uhm)

Only reasons I can think of are it may be more accurate than previous CX5's where wheel sensors counted the RPM's, and the new setup will alert you if a tire is low before you go out on the road, not after. With the previous setup, you may drive on the flat tire for enough time to damage the tire before you are notified it is low.

But I agree that readouts of each tire's pressure would be optimal. And the new setup does make it more difficult/expensive for those who use winter wheels.

Why not just make it a MazdaConnect app for the center console screen?

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Just put it with the Fuel Economy Monitor, Warning Guidance and Maintenance apps.

I wouldn't put much faith in the accuracy of a dashboard tire pressure display. I recently rented a 2016 Chevy Malibu for a month while my car was in for body repairs and found the readout to be about 5 psi high on each corner.

They forgot to lower the pressure on our 3. I noticed it on the drive home when it sounded extremely loud and tires squealed in corners.

So they can upgrade the TPMS and display the PSI for each tire on the dash...? 2018 Added feature?

The CX-9 has the new TPMS system as well, I have yet to verify if the other 2017 Mazda's have the new or the old system.
I don't think Mazda will do direct-read display on tire pressure any time soon. If that's the feature high on their list, we should see it once Mazda switched to direct-read TPMS system in 2nd-gen CX-5 and CX-9.

Why not just make it a MazdaConnect app for the center console screen?
Same effort to put tire pressure info on instrument cluster LCD info panel like Nissan Rogue:

2017-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-large.jpg

If the 2017 CX-5 has TPMS sensors, how will the driver know the pressure in each tire?

This is the first time I will own a CX-5 so kindly bear with me regarding explanation.
Not any more tire pressure info for 2017 CX-5 drivers even though it now has dedicated pressure sensor for each tire. Once you have those sensors, a receiver gets tire pressure from each tire identified by unique ID by each sensor. The receiver then sends such info to the display driver either the instrument cluster LCD info panel or infotainment screen.

Only reasons I can think of are it may be more accurate than previous CX5's where wheel sensors counted the RPM's, and the new setup will alert you if a tire is low before you go out on the road, not after. With the previous setup, you may drive on the flat tire for enough time to damage the tire before you are notified it is low.

But I agree that readouts of each tire's pressure would be optimal. And the new setup does make it more difficult/expensive for those who use winter wheels.
According to member's experience on old TPMS the system is pretty good to catch any low pressure situation on single tire very early even though they can't visually see the low pressure problem on the tire. There's no issues with old system there possibly to damage the tire. Not sure though if the old TPMS is prone to fail with those multi-purpose ABS speed sensors.

The problem with 2017's TPMS is it seems still can only catch a single tire issue like the old system. With direct-read TPMS, the system should be able to catch all 4 over-inflated tires at beginning and display the TPMS warning for OP! Now we know this new TPMS is no better than old system but with more expensive maintenance cost!

I wouldn't put much faith in the accuracy of a dashboard tire pressure display. I recently rented a 2016 Chevy Malibu for a month while my car was in for body repairs and found the readout to be about 5 psi high on each corner.
Well, it's GM quality and they may put low quality inaccurate pressure sensors in there. Those pressure sensors can be as accurate as your expensive digital tire pressure gauge (same sensor without transmitter) if you don't cut corners. ;)

>> Since 2017 CX-5 added tire pressure sensor in each tire.

Really? Didn't know that! So a future software update could possibly display the tire pressure on the screen as shown above on the Nissan Rogue?

I can't see why NOT considering there is a fuel economy app ...
why not a TMPS app ??

Maybe no one ever asked mazda to make one ?

first gen CX-5 had the simple system ...
the 2017 model ( gen 2 ) has actual sensors
but no ability to display the PSI information onto the screen ???

Last edited:
I just inquired with Mazdapartsmed. Mazda does not have TPMS valves. Just ordinary air valves.
In US we do have tire pressure sensor with valve stem in each wheel for 2017 CX-5:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!

I guess Mazda doesn't use the tire pressure sensors in every market such as yours which is good for you as there's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup other than added maintenance cost!

According to member's experience on old TPMS the system is pretty good to catch any low pressure situation on single tire very early even though they can't visually see the low pressure problem on the tire. There's no issues with old system there possibly to damage the tire. Not sure though if the old TPMS is prone to fail with those multi-purpose ABS speed sensors.

The problem with 2017's TPMS is it seems still can only catch a single tire issue like the old system. With direct-read TPMS, the system should be able to catch all 4 over-inflated tires at beginning and display the TPMS warning for OP! Now we know this new TPMS is no better than old system but with more expensive maintenance cost!

Let's say you run over a nail before you get home and then park your car. Overnight, the pressure in that tire drops to 20 PSI.

In the pre-2017, when you get in the car and start it up, there is no warning. You leave your house and get up to speed and at some point the indirect TPMS ABS wheel sensor that is counting wheel RPM's notices that that one wheel is making more revolutions, so it must be low and a light comes on the dash. You make a decision on what to do.

In the 2017, when you get in the car and start it up, the direct TPMS sensor inside the wheel detects low air pressure and a light comes on the dash before you leave. You make a decision on what to do.

attachment.php

In the interest of providing a lower cost Original Equipment system, indirect tire pressure monitoring systems were developed by vehicle manufacturers wishing to comply with the law while minimizing development time and cost. Indirect systems use the vehicle's anti-lock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire to that in another position on the vehicle. If one tire is low on pressure, its circumference changes enough to roll at a slightly different number of revolutions per mile than the other three tires. Reading the same signal used to support ABS systems, the vehicle manufacturers have programmed another function into the vehicle's on-board computer to warn the driver when a single tire is running at a reduced inflation pressure compared to the others.

Unfortunately, indirect tire pressure monitoring systems have several shortcomings. Indirect systems won't tell the drivers which tire is low on pressure, and won't warn the driver if all four tires are losing pressure at the same rate (as occurs during the fall and winter months when ambient temperatures get colder). Additionally, our current experience with indirect systems indicates that they can generate frequent false warnings. We have found that false warnings may occur when the tires spin on wet, icy and snow-covered roads. In these cases, the false alarms would train the driver to disregard the tire pressure monitoring system's warnings, negating its purpose completely. -Tirerack

Attachments

• TPMS.PNG
    TPMS.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 397
In US we do have tire pressure sensor with valve stem in each wheel for 2017 CX-5:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!

I guess Mazda doesn't use the tire pressure sensors in every market such as yours which is good for you as there's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup other than added maintenance cost!

Wow! At $91.74 each, that's the cost of a whole aftermarket TPMS! I guess I'd rather use my stashed TPMS! I just have to look for a possible location for the monitor. Cased closed for me.

[emoji16]

Guys,
When cars are shipped oversea, the tires are often inflated around 45PSI.
This is to avoid flat spotting when cars are sitting in the cargo bay tied down to the floor.
Often times, dealers do not deflate them properly back to recommended PSI.
Some test vehicles have over-inflated tires as well. I have told the salesmen a few times in the past.

Guys,
When cars are shipped oversea, the tires are often inflated around 45PSI.
This is to avoid flat spotting when cars are sitting in the cargo bay tied down to the floor.
Often times, dealers do not deflate them properly back to recommended PSI.
Some test vehicles have over-inflated tires as well. I have told the salesmen a few times in the past.

Shipping in general. Our 3 was built in Mexico and presumably never got on a ship.

You bet they do! It's up to you to get out of it!

Unfortunately in my last and other previous experiences in buying a car here in Cda it's been really a challenge in trying to get out of paying the freight and PDI...I can understand that dealers don't make much profit on a vehicle (ave of only 5%) so PDI is the other thing where they make money on that's why most dealers here won't give that away even though we all know as buyers that they don't really do much PDI work and certainly don't deserve the $800 fee for the amount of work they do (if they've done the real PDI)...diff story in the US though

I took delivery of my brand new 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Premium on 4/12/2017. I don't drive it all that much (the odometer just turned 2000 miles) and since I am planning a road trip next weekend, i thought it would be a good idea to check the tire pressure. I was astounded to see the pressure at all four wheels was 45 PSI cold (car hasn't been driven in 4 days and is in an attached garage with an ambient temperature of around 80 degrees this time of year.) I am assuming it was over filled at the dealer since I can't imagine a 10 PSI increase in tire pressure could have occured between May and August even with the ambient temperature change considering these were verifiably "cold" tires.

It was a complete rookie mistake on my part to wait this long to check the tire pressure...so I blame myself, but I thought I would throw this out there for all new owners who may not have done so yet.

Up until this point, I've been very satisfied with the ride on my CX-5, though there were times when I would hit what I percieved to be a small bump in the road, and the feedback seemed to be unexpectedly harsh...obviously THIS is why. I am also wondering if the overpressure tires could be the culprit in the mild steering wheel vibration I have been feeling intermittantly when the MRCC brings the car to a complete stop, which I had posted and is being discussed here:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...hen-MRCC-Brings-Car-to-a-Full-Stop-in-Traffic

I'm assuming that having the tires set to the correct pressure after having been around 30% too high is going to result in a very different and hopefully even better road feel.

Don't make the mistake I did and assume your vehicle has been properly prepped....Check your tire pressure! For the record I did check the oil within 24 hours of taking possession of the car.

Same here when I took delivery of my brand new '17 CX9 back in January this year...over inflated tires! Good thing I didn't wait months to notice it and correct it...after a few weeks of driving I already noticed of the very firm ride so I became curious and checked the tire pressures and that's how I discovered over inflated pressures! So much for the $800 PDI dealer charged!

Pretty much every new vehicles tyres are over inflated. Standard practice

Latest posts

Back