those that autocross the MS3 help me out

:
2001 Mazda MP3
to me the MS3 has plenty of HP, maybe to much for just the front wheels.

So i'm thinking of building a setup for next years autocross season, and what i'm thinking is BC coilovers, Cobb or hot chicks rear sway bar, and some lite weight 17x8 wheels running 225 or 235 width.

now depending on the type of rubber, i'm pretty sure with these mods i would be in with some BIG hitters, so for the first year i would just try to refine my skills and get used to my car, then go from their.

I've been trying to search, but what class does the MS3 fall under, and where can i find some info on what these mods would put me in.

with your wish list modd....that will put you in stu with street tires....slick will put you in dsp....if u want to be competitive and have a chance to win...u want to stay stock....only shocks/fsb/cbe/drop in intake replacement plus slicks....in stu/dsp u will get owned my at least 3-4 sec...at least in my reigion....sti/eve in stu.....bimmer in dsp......unless u go all out flare the fender and throw in some 275 in front and modd up to 350 whp...then u might have a chance in dsp.....hope tha help

with your wish list modd....that will put you in stu with street tires....slick will put you in dsp....if u want to be competitive and have a chance to win...u want to stay stock....only shocks/fsb/cbe/drop in intake replacement plus slicks....in stu/dsp u will get owned my at least 3-4 sec...at least in my reigion....sti/eve in stu.....bimmer in dsp......unless u go all out flare the fender and throw in some 275 in front and modd up to 350 whp...then u might have a chance in dsp.....hope tha help

thats what i i was affraid of, i had heard that just a small amount of mods will put you in ridiculous classes

anyone have a link for the scca classes?

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

14.10 C states for the street touring class:
The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet
may be modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body,
carburetor, compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever
comes first. The existing structure of the car may not be modified
for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet.
Holes may be drilled for mounting. Emissions or engine management
components in the air intake system, such as a PCV
valve, or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed, modified, or
replaced, and must retain their original function along the flow
path.

I read as we can't modify anything past the compressor inlet, which unfortunately the BPV is past the compressor inlet. Doesn't specifically say anywhere that the BPV is or isn't legal, but somwhere it is stated if something is not mentioned, then it is not allowed.

Last edited:
as far as i know here we use scca rules and an aftermarket bpv will put you in SM even if you are otherwise stock.

as far as i know here we use scca rules and an aftermarket bpv will put you in SM even if you are otherwise stock.

Yea, I know where you're coming from. Did alot of research on that. Here's two links I've found on the issue.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f59/auto-x-classing-street-prepared-rule-change-355693/

http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6196

The first link has some excellent info even though it's on the srtforums :)

Also this quote stated in that first link originated from the SCCA Forum (Refering to SP rules):

15.10.C.4.d: No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves

15.10.C.5 Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) may be changed or updated/backdated independently of the other components of a forced induction system.

Okay, so what does this mean for you? Well, in one of the Fasttracks issued earlier this year, we clarified "blow off/pop off valve" and "compressor bypass valve" as definitions.

A BOV/POV opens when a set boost limit is reached, to vent the boost and prevent it from exceeding the level the valve is set to. These are almost NEVER specified by OEMs for street cars.

A CBV opens when manifold vacuum exceeds a certain threshold, allowing the compressor discharge to (most commonly) recirculate back to the compressor inlet when the throttle is closed, which helps keep the turbo spooled up during an upshift, for instance. Most aftermarket units sold as "blow off valves" are really CBVs that vent to the atmosphere for that ricy "whoosh" sound.

Last edited:
In my region the Bimmers are in BSP.

I compete in DSP with cars like Jetta GLI, GTIs, and the such. When I was stock I finished a couple seconds behind the class winner this past event. The next event I'll have my hotchkis sways (already installed), my Springs (waiting for delivery), and a lightweight set of 17s and hoosier A6s (on order.) I hope to destroy the class.

:)

Back