Thinking about WRX 440's

Boilermaker19

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Looks like I can get my hands on some used WRX 440's pretty cheap, but I don't know if it would work well with my set-up. I've got the stock turbo, but I do have FMIC, 3" exhaust turbo back, and an SSAFC. Just starting to get my hands dirty on this one, and the injectors may sit on a shelf for a while, but it seems like a pretty good deal if I can support it. The previous owner gave me a box with the original pistons in it, so I'm assuming I have upgraded internals, but I am not sure to what degree. I've seen comments here saying bigger injectors are unnecessary unless you're running a bigger turbo. Also, total Newbie question: Does the SSAFC control boost pressure, or does it merely sense boost pressure? I don't appear to have any external boost control, and I'm running 9 pounds.

The only way to 'control' boost pressure is with an MBC or EBC and even then you can only raise boost not lower it. With the replacement ATP wastegate 9psi is normal, and if you do have forged internals you can run much more than that, however 16-18psi is the limit of how much air this little turbo can push (if you have the stock T25). I would pick up the injectors and have them cleaned at a shop, and when you are ready to crank up the boost, install them and tune the AFC to run them. Custom tuning would be highly recommended though, the 440cc injector tunes on this site are only to be used as a baseline, every car is different.

yep. the 440s are a great idea. the stock ones are not good for anything over stock boost really. the will support up to 10 psi safely but much more than that is not good. you start pushing them to hard and they will be inconsistent. and will fail sooner. 440s are good for turning up the stock turbo to max boost and will even support a gt28. up to so much. if you can get them cheap there a great upgrade over stock. but i wouldn't pay anything over 100 or so for them. you can find them on ebay for less than that used.

Got 'em for $40 shipped. Figured I can't go wrong at that price, and they'll be my eldest's Christmas present for me.

I've got a few tunes for 440s, but all at high boost levels and my listed mods. You could start with it and adjust as needed if you wanted one of them.

440cc are good for your situation but if you get a bigger turbo go to sti (pink) 565cc or even 1kcc injectors.

440cc are good for your situation but if you get a bigger turbo go to sti (pink) 565cc or even 1kcc injectors.

... Yeah... You'll totally need 1000cc injectors........ No. Unless you're running a huge turbo and another 10 supporting mods...

1000cc's if you decide to go e85 with a bigger turbo and all the goodies that go along with that.

Back