The curious case of the disappearing traffic sidebar (TomTom)

mpkav

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I see this popping up from time to time but I am trying to find a definitive solution. I have a 2015 CX-5 with the TomTom NB1. Every now and then the traffic sidebar disappears completely with no apparent input on my part. I have to restore the Nav card on my computer to get the sidebar back. However, within a certain amount of time (it was two months the first time, now it was just over one week) it disappears again. Am I doing something wrong? I can't possibly keep restoring the card, it is maddening.

This happens to me too. I find it's an indication that the card needs the QuickGPSfix file updated. Next time you notice this, instead of restoring the card, at the first opportunity, turn off the car, remove the card, reinsert the card, restart the car. This should bring back the traffic bar. But you should soon after take the card out and update the card (not necessarily the maps).

Thanks, that worked! If I update the card will it be a permanent fix? I find it a little annoying (like most of the electronics in the CX-5) to have to be constantly worrying about losing the traffic information.

Thanks, that worked! If I update the card will it be a permanent fix? I find it a little annoying (like most of the electronics in the CX-5) to have to be constantly worrying about losing the traffic information.

The QuickGPSfix file is intended to be updated every 7 days (http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/an...~/what-is-quickgpsfix-and-how-do-i-update-it?). I don't bother to do it that often, but I find that after the traffic bar disappears once it will start to do so more frequently until I break down and update the files.

Interesting. Why would the GPS location of the car affect the traffic information? Is it possible to use the manual traffic tuning to avoid this?

Thanks again!

Interesting. Why would the GPS location of the car affect the traffic information? Is it possible to use the manual traffic tuning to avoid this?

Thanks again!

I don't think it's a designed feature. It's just been my experience that 3-6 weeks after I update files the traffic will begin to act up. And seeing as how TomTom wants us to connect every 7 days to update the QuickGPSfix file, I draw a (non-logical) line between the two -- really, I'm just using the disappearing traffic as a reminder that I'm past due to update the files. Also, I'm not aware of a manual traffic tuning feature (I believe the traffic comes over the radio band (at least in the U.S.)).

I don't think it's a designed feature. It's just been my experience that 3-6 weeks after I update files the traffic will begin to act up. And seeing as how TomTom wants us to connect every 7 days to update the QuickGPSfix file, I draw a (non-logical) line between the two -- really, I'm just using the disappearing traffic as a reminder that I'm past due to update the files. Also, I'm not aware of a manual traffic tuning feature (I believe the traffic comes over the radio band (at least in the U.S.)).

I would draw a similar conclusion. I appreciate the help, I am happy to have at least some sort of path forward when this happens again.

The manual traffic allows you to tune the station manually (if you select it), it should be there on the US model (it is here in Canada). I was grasping at straws, I doubt changing the radio station will fix anything with the Nav system itself.

Unfortunately need to pull card and update ever couple weeks or so with Tom Tom Home

Is this while getting directions somewhere, or is the traffic sidebar supposed to display at all times?

I update my card once every few months, but I only see the traffic sidebar while getting directions somewhere. The only times it has disappeared is when I'm getting directions in a sparsely populated area, like CA State Route 1, or I5, outside of major cities.

I think it is supposed to display all the time, at least it does on mine (caveat: while it is sporadically working). I usually bring up "Browse Map" before I leave work in the evenings to get an idea of traffic conditions, this is usually when I noticed the function isn't working. My sidebar disappears when the traffic feature is no longer functioning.

I think it is supposed to display all the time, at least it does on mine (caveat: while it is sporadically working). I usually bring up "Browse Map" before I leave work in the evenings to get an idea of traffic conditions, this is usually when I noticed the function isn't working. My sidebar disappears when the traffic feature is no longer functioning.

You're right, it does display all the time. If you don't have a route planned, what does the bar usually show? I guess I've never noticed it because unless I have a route planned, the bar is empty.

It is usually greyed out, though I believe it functions as a button to a traffic sub-menu (same as when it is showing traffic, but with fewer options in the menu available). I'll check in about an hour when I drive to work.

EDIT: Confirmed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back