Test of MPG at various speeds: results

Took a quick look at your fuelly records and you sir are getting incredible MPG. I noticed that you drive at least 300+ miles before you fill-up. How many bars are left on the fuel bar before you fill-up? I usually fill-up when there are 3 bars left, so 1/4 of the whole fuel bar. That amounts to around 240 miles covered before filling up.

I guess there are only 1 or 2 bars left but what I really use and rely on is the trip computer info display, cycling thru to the distance to empty figure using the Info button and also watching for the low fuel warning light (it usually comes on with about 35 miles showing on the DTE display). I usually try to fill up right before or after the low fuel light come on.

My 2017 CX-5 GT FWD has been averaging 27 MPG on my usual blended commute between work, kids' schools, shopping, etc. The single road trip I've taken averaged 33.2 MPG, mostly ~72 MPH cruise with a little bit of off highway driving in Austin and Waco, TX.

Haven't done a MPG vs speed sweep, but that'd be fun, lol.

Overall, I'm pleased. I was originally eyeing a Mazda3 GT, but the 40/20/40 rear seat, increased cargo, more rear room, and generally nicer interior sold me on the CX-5. I knew I'd take a hit on mileage from the 3 but it's still far better than my old ride in normal mixed driving. :)

Last edited:
My 2017 CX-5 GT AWD has been averaging 27 MPG on my usual blended commute between work, kids' schools, shopping, etc. The single road trip I've taken averaged 33.2 MPG, mostly ~72 MPH cruise with a little bit of off highway driving in Austin and Waco, TX.

Haven't done a MPG vs speed sweep, but that'd be fun, lol.

Overall, I'm pleased. I was originally eyeing a Mazda3 GT, but the 40/20/40 rear seat, increased cargo, more rear room, and generally nicer interior sold me on the CX-5. I knew I'd take a hit on mileage from the 3 but it's still far better than my old ride in normal mixed driving. :)

Do you have a AWD or FWD? Your profile has FWD.

Back