Sway bar problem and sound

Stuff

Hello guys. I'm just trying to help out a friend so bear with me if I break an noob rules. My friend has an 01 MP3. Every time he goes over a bump there is an odd bumping sound from the rear. I'm not really sure what it could be. But it might be the sway bar. I looks kind of out of whack. As you can see in the pics the bushings do not line up with the paint. Is that bad? What is the thing next to the bushing? Any ideas on the sound? Thanks for your help

Mazdasway1.JPG

Mazdasway2.JPG

Mazdasway3.JPG

those clamps next to the bushings is suppose to keep the sway bar from moving side to side. they should fit snug against the bushings. the sway bar is probably bouncing around inside the bushing from the premature wear due to the weak stock location. its easy to replace the bushings and not hear any sounds for a couple months, but the best solution would be to buy evolv's kit http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123668282
I purchased this kit over a year ago and it works wonders. good luck

Last edited:
+1 for the above.
If you want more info, just type "clunk" in the search link...you should get a couple hundred threads pop up...

Thanks guys. I keep telling my friend to write into a forum and saying to him I'm sure many people have had a similar problem. I will tell him the results. Looks like that aftermarket set up is a little expensive. How much are the stock bushings and clip things?

it's not cheap, but it's a permanent fix since you'll need to replace the bushings pretty often anyway...the only thing you need to do with the aftermarket fix is to grease the bushings every once in a while...

Latest posts

Back