Subwoofer in trunk can't push through back seat.

:
'11 Legacy, '15 Forester
I have a 12" Fi SSD dual 1 ohm voice coil that is pulling 500 x 1 @ 2 ohms and with the seats up, can't push through the HEAVY seats (leather too if that matters) With the 40% side folded down, it sounds AMAZING.

Is this a common problem for those of you with a subwoofer in the trunk?

attachment.php

I have the Kicker amplifier 500 Watt RMS with a 12 inchs sub and sound amazing with the back seats in place .

Attachments

• 000_1038.JPG
    000_1038.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 376
yeah, It has part to do with the THICK back rest and part to do with which way the sub is pointing.

I don't have much problem...I am using the stock radio or whatever and its set on -5 alot of the time...the highest I need to go is -1 or 0. I don't remember what amp is of the top of my head..class D alpine with the stock 10" still working too. Haven't had too much issue with sound dampening though.

thes10.jpg

I think that there may be a substantial difference between the rear seat on the MS6 and the 6 Sport

Wow, 34 views and NOBODY has a sub in the trunk of their 6?

thanks for the help...

crack me up dude, just because 34 members viewed your thread, doesn't mean that 34 members with subs in their trunks didn't feel like posting in your thread.

i hate my sub box. takes up too much trunk space.

what kind of box is the sub in is it ported or sealed. in a car like that you should really run a ported box reason being a sub makes a BACK AND FORTH movement when the movement leaves the box it makes a vibration known asi a low note. with a sealed box the vibration leaves closer to the box usually ment for a small suv or a small compact car. when the box is ported the notes leave farther from the box giving you more of a feel for the bass. one other trick it bring it to someone depending on who put it in be being mecp certified you can have the best setup but the box and the install make or brake it. you can have the worst audio but if someone can tune it and knows there stuff it will sound better than most other people audio

crack me up dude, just because 34 members viewed your thread, doesn't mean that 34 members with subs in their trunks didn't feel like posting in your thread.

i hate my sub box. takes up too much trunk space.

I am an asshole, what can I say?

oh, well I don't know...Just thought i'd offer some input.

I appreciate the input, thank you.

what kind of box is the sub in is it ported or sealed. in a car like that you should really run a ported box reason being a sub makes a BACK AND FORTH movement when the movement leaves the box it makes a vibration known asi a low note. with a sealed box the vibration leaves closer to the box usually ment for a small suv or a small compact car. when the box is ported the notes leave farther from the box giving you more of a feel for the bass. one other trick it bring it to someone depending on who put it in be being mecp certified you can have the best setup but the box and the install make or brake it. you can have the worst audio but if someone can tune it and knows there stuff it will sound better than most other people audio

I hear ya.. it is in a sealed box. I had someone figure out the ideal dimensions for the sub using winISD (I think) and I built the box to those specs.

I just got a 10 in a sealed box and it is missing the umphffff............

I am going to see if I can get aported box.

well depending on the vechile you can go to like jlaudio.com or mtx.com and they make custom boxes for a lot of cars and trucks that do not take up much space and sound great so check that out too. if not and you are in the north jeresy area i make custom boxes for cars just make a design up something you like and ill make box and carpet it and wire it all up

I've got a pair of JL 10W3v3's (sealed box) powered by a 500 watt TMA amp in the trunk of my MS6. I have to drive around with them turned down (-3 or -4 on the bass setting). They sound amazing even with the seats in the upright position. - As far as which way the subs should be pointing, i have mine pointed away from the passenger compartment, it seems to give the best quality of sound.

I just installed mine this weekend, and after some "tweaking" and working the bugs out, it sounds alot better. It sounded really weak, and I realized it was because the writeup I used only connected the positive RCA leads to the vehicle wires. I went back this morning and connected the negative parts of the RCA wires to the brown (in my 06 MS6) wire, and it's a world of difference. FWIW, my sub is facing the rear seats, and ported towards the rear of the car. It's just temporary right now until I decide which orientation I like, and decide if I want a different box to keep it clean and out of the way.

Back