Stuck with this header

sprinter119

:
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Hello everyone i just got back from a 2month patrol and tried to put my OBX header on. I followed the how to exactly like it says. i got down to those spring bolts or whatever and couldnt get them off. I tried everything to loosent them now the bolts are stripped. my question is what can i do now. i dont wnat to pay anyone to take them off. can i buy those spring bolts/screws from mazda parts department. i dont want to go to my last resort which is raising the car up and cutting them. HELP PLEEZ

you should always replace those bolts, just pick up some new ones and some anti sieze compound. If Liquid Wrench, or PB Blaster will not work, just cut them off with an angle grinder. Not much else you can do with stripped bolts....If you don't have one, you can pick one up for $10-20 and Harbor Freight, or online..

HTH

Hey,

Taking the bolts off was the second hardest thing to do...

All I did was spray them with a product similar to PB blaster several times in 15 minutes, then I heated them up with a small, pocket sized, butane torch. Believe it or not, that made all the difference.

It took me about one hour but I did it all myself and didn't have to pay anyone any $$ to do it. (Careful not to get it too close to the oil pan)

The butane torch cost me about $18.00 CAD
and the penetrating lubricant about $8.00 CAD

You'll also find it difficult to align the header/mid-pipe bolt holes but it can be done...just leave the header a bit loose with a couple or rags between it and the head (to prevent scratches) when you muscle the header into position.

In truth, what I found to be the most difficult task, was aligning the EGR tube to the EGR outlet on the header.

BTW, I have a Tsudo header but they are in essence, the exact same product.

Good luck!

how would i cut the bolts off without going through the hole screw? does mazda sell the whole screw withthe bolts and the spring?

can the springs, screw, and bolts be replaces with another spring or can i just pick up another bolt and screw from a hardware store?

Go buy new spring kit and bolts. Get the grinder and cutting disc and hack it off. Be sure you have enuf time to complete the whole install when you start, Once those are cut there is no turning back.

BTW just did this exact same thing on a 97 si, everything was seized and didnt line up, worst case senario and it only took and hour including time to eat.

OR take the new spring/bolts to an exhaust place and have them replace the bolts. When i did this it was like $20 or less. I then proceeded to do what i needed to do.

OR get an electric impact wrench. Best Thing I Own.

Back