Stripped wheel-lock key

ONRAILS

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
Has anyone done this? Man I'm pissed. I got everything to do my front brake pads and the lugs were on so tight, I stripped the key to the locks. I got the other lugs loose (almost busted a blood vessel in my brain). So I guess I have to order a new key. But it will happen again... since they are on so tight. The guys that did my springs must've used a impact wrench set to full blast!

Dave

take the car to whom ever put on your springs and tell them to take the bastards off and HAND TIGHTEN THEM!!!! and watch them do this too, then take her home and do the brakes...

get a 18or19mm 12 point socket and force em on the lock with a sledge then just remove em.

Good news!

Ok... I went to a tire place and asked them if they could loosen up the lugs/locks for me. The key wasn't stripped as bad as I thought originally cause he was able to get it on there and loosen them. So, fortunately I was able to change my pads. OMG... they are so easy to replace. Anyone that pays for this to get done is just nuts (of course if you don't have a garage of means to do it, then it's understandable). So friggin easy!

Dave

Oh... and the Vikes beat the Pack! Whoohoo... what a day!

Party Boat team!!
ONRAILS said:
Good news!

Ok... I went to a tire place and asked them if they could loosen up the lugs/locks for me. The key wasn't stripped as bad as I thought originally cause he was able to get it on there and loosen them. So, fortunately I was able to change my pads. OMG... they are so easy to replace. Anyone that pays for this to get done is just nuts (of course if you don't have a garage of means to do it, then it's understandable). So friggin easy!

Dave

Oh... and the Vikes beat the Pack! Whoohoo... what a day!

I absolutely hate it when the douchebag mechanics overtorque the lug nuts. It can do so much damage to the studs it's not even funny. I heard a story from a friend that the stress fractures in the studs caused them to fail while he was diring. Off came the wheel, and on went the lawsuit.

Glad you got it sorted out, brakes are easy, and the Vikings suck just as much as the Pack does, so no need to celebrate.

Where do i get my wheel lock key? When i bought the car I didn't think to ask about it but now that I am getting tires I will probaly need it.

When I bought mine, the guy put everything in the glove box. That included a little envelope from McGuard with the wheel lock order form. I lost my key, then ordered two so I wouldn't be without one ever again.

You may have to contact the dealership he bought it from to get the information if you don't have the paperwork.

Back