Strange Headlight Issue - 2000 Protege

NightFlight

Mazda Fanatic
:
1990 Miata
Hey guys, I've got a really strange reoccurring electrical issue with my 2000 Protege.

Occasionally, my low beams will stop functioning which obviously is a real problem at night. When this happens, my high beam indicator will illuminate in the dash, but the high beams are NOT on or activated via the switch. When this happens, the low beams turn off and there is no light coming from the bulbs at all. You can move the stalk forward to turn the high beams on, and those work just fine but there are no low beams.

Here's where I am stumped. I've found the source of the problem, it is one of the pins going into the turn signal/light switch stalk gets incredibly hot. So hot that it has turned the plastic around the pins blackish-brown and you can smell the plastic getting hot.

I have replaced the turn signal stalk, thinking it was a switch issue, it isn't. If I jiggle that damn wire, it can solve the issue temporarily, but I would really like to see if there is an issue inside of the connector but I can't figure out how to take that apart, or even remove a single pin/wire. I am referring to the connector/harness that goes directly into the turn signal stalk.

Can anyone give me any ideas or pointers on how to get this done? I would be greatly appreciated! I obviously don't want to crash and die due to no light, and I don't want my car to burn to the ground either.

It may be a case of high resistance due to an intermittent connection. Connector pin disassembly typically requires a push-out tool that can be purchased from the connector manufacturer or a distributor like Allied Electronics, Newark. or Digikey. However you may never need such a tool again, since pin connection issues are fairly rare. I think I would take my car to an Auto-Electric shop and have them do the work. A dealership would probably replace the entire cable assembly. If its routing is not complicated, you may be able to buy a new cable from the dealership and install it, yourself.

Back