Straightening radiator fins: What to know?

GoodGuyDudu

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD (Mousse)
Hi folks,

So after a 10000 kms roadtrip across Canada, I've hit my share of bugs/rocks/debris. I repeatedly rinsed my radiator to remove dead bugs.

I now want to straighten the bent radiator fins to increase airflow. I'm planning to remove the bumper cover, use very precise tweezers and carefully straighten as many fins as possible, following the original pattern. It's also a relaxing project I've been thinking about for some time now haha.

That being said, what should I be really careful about? I understand that coolant travels in the horizontal lines between the fins?? I obviously don't want to ruin the radiator. I enjoy taking my time and working meticulously.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221004_145245.jpg
    20221004_145245.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20221004_145250.jpg
    20221004_145250.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 108
Well, I believe that's your air conditioning condenser coil you have pictured. The radiator is the larger one behind. Same concept though. Your refrigerant runs through in the horizontal tubes.

You could try using a simple hair comb or a flea comb for pets (break off to the size you want to work with, remove "teeth" of the comb to get the proper spacing).

I know you were not soliciting opinions on the value of this expedition but unless you are having a problem with the A/C or engine temperature, I don't think it's worth your time and there is risk of letting the insides out by messing with it.

I'd love to see your results and opinion on the work level and resulting improvements should you go through with this though (y)

Well, I believe that's your air conditioning condenser coil you have pictured. The radiator is the larger one behind. Same concept though. Your refrigerant runs through in the horizontal tubes.

You could try using a simple hair comb or a flea comb for pets (break off to the size you want to work with, remove "teeth" of the comb to get the proper spacing).

I know you were not soliciting opinions on the value of this expedition but unless you are having a problem with the A/C or engine temperature, I don't think it's worth your time and there is risk of letting the insides out by messing with it.

I'd love to see your results and opinion on the work level and resulting improvements should you go through with this though (y)
Thanks for the clarification about the condenser vs. radiator!

Yeah the risk is definitely there, but I'll really try to not put my tool too deep in the fins, just on the surface really.

Last edited:
I'd use a lower PSI pressure washer to get those bugs out with then I'd place some small mesh bug screening material over the front of the radiator and the cooler cores one single piece.

Last edited:
I'd use a lower PSI pressure washer to get those bugs out with then I'd place some small mesh bug screening material over the front of the radiator and the cooler cores one single piece.
In other words, reduce the airflow to the two systems which need it the most……I’d certainly not recommend that path if the CX will be driven in a warm climate.

Time is valuable . So is money. This project could easily end up costing you more work and losing more time and money should damage occur. Why lose both? Surely you can find several millions other things to do? Imo, Find another relaxing activity.

So, this is smaller scale, but I have been in the PC watercooling game for over a decade now and have used tons of radiators. These don't look any different aside from being much bigger. I have many times tried to restraighten fins and it just doesn't really work that well for a small area, I can't imagine trying to do a whole car radiator.

Straightening fins won't cause a potential for catastrophic damage, but fins can be delicate and you may notice that they don't really straighten that well with tweezers without further damaging them. Removing bugs and debris makes sense, but I am not sure it is worth your time trying to straighten the fins. I am also not sure about the hair comb suggestion. These are not like the fins in condenser coils inside an AC unit that you can use a comb on.

You are correct in assuming that the coolant flows through the horizontal water channels between each row of fins. This and the tanks on either side of the radiator are what you have to be extremely careful about not puncturing.

EDIT: The fin straightener tool might work alright. I might have to try that on one of my more battle damaged radiators because tweezers are an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
In other words, reduce the airflow to the two systems which need it the most……I’d certainly not recommend that path if the CX will be driven in a warm climate.
With the cooler and the radiator packed with bugs like that you are getting much more reduced air flow than the screen is going to give you. Been there done that!

Is that some kind of gigantic wasp stuck in the middle of that radiator in the first pic? Looks gigantic.

Hi folks,

So after a 10000 kms roadtrip across Canada, I've hit my share of bugs/rocks/debris. I repeatedly rinsed my radiator to remove dead bugs.

I now want to straighten the bent radiator fins to increase airflow. I'm planning to remove the bumper cover, use very precise tweezers and carefully straighten as many fins as possible, following the original pattern. It's also a relaxing project I've been thinking about for some time now haha.

That being said, what should I be really careful about? I understand that coolant travels in the horizontal lines between the fins?? I obviously don't want to ruin the radiator. I enjoy taking my time and working meticulously.

Thanks!
That’s pretty bad look on the AC condenser coil fins. You can try this or other similar tools to safely speed up the work.

87FE755B-0CE3-4B63-9200-08C7183E001E.jpeg

Back