stock cat with vibrant muffler?/ other muffler options

chomper149

:
#1417 Titanium MSP
Hey so im about to purchase a MSP without a cat. Has a vibrant turboback exhaust which i assume means Jpipe back with stock Spipe? But it is catless and i will need to pass inspection so i plan on buying a stock Cat. Does anyone know if the stock cat will bolt up to a vibrant muffler?
Also anyone suggest a different muffler that maybe is more of a whine then a rumble? coming from rotarys i kind of dislike the sound of deep rumbles. Always thought stock infinitis had a nice sound to their exhausts. Anything comparable for a MSP?
Thinking a corksport would be a better choice possibly. Havnt heard the car yet, but youtube tells me its loud and deep.

welcome cant answer your question but yes I have a fx35 and that thing purs nice...

so looking into it a little more, the vibrant appears to be post j pipe so stock s/j pipe. Question now is, will the vibrant muffler attach to a stock cat?

Stock cat will not bolt up to vibrant....period. My vibrant exh came with a 3" inlet/outlet cat and o2 bungs....my advice would be to have someone weld one in

does the stock cat bolt up to any aftermarket mufflers? suck as the corksport?
Stock muffler is also an option, but i was only planning on getting the Cat for the inspection and swapping it back out.
Or any other recommendations as to which exhaust system i should get?
looking to do most bolt ons, but keep boost low, maybe 8psi max. so dont need a crazy flowing exhaust.
Thanks and cant wait to join the community!

Corksport deletes stock midpipe/cats, love the sound though.....stock muffler flows well actually you can see right through it. The Vibrant is arguably one of the best exhausts offered for this car, why change it?

You will also need a stock j-pipe by the way, it's separate from the stock cats/midpipe...then If you need a stock resonator pipe to bolt to your stock cats let me know. You'd have to drive up to CT though!

Last edited:
only really considering changing the vibrant b/c the youtube vids ive seen so far make it seem pretty loud, and low, which i prefer a higher pitched sound then a rumble. But thats just personal choice
Really asking to see if id be able to get the car inspected with stock cats/ vibrant muffler, which you stated it wouldnt bolt up
So then i asked the question if any other mufflers bolt up to the stock cats/ easier at inspection time

Stock= 2inch piping, vibrant= 3inch piping. I don't think any muffler out there will bolt right up to stock resonator pipe except the Racing Beat stock muffler, however, there mat be some cat-back systems out there like Greddy.

You seem to need a custom exhaust shop, then you can weld up any muffler you please

probably just going to look into a high flow at this point
Any recommendations on a not so throaty muffler?

The stock cats (there are two) will not fit on the vibrant but any decent muffler shop should be able to weld in an appropriate sized cat for you. That's really the only way to go. Figure $200 for a 3" cat and $100 for the labor.

If he was running catless, you might also want to see what he did about the secondary O2. Hopefully there is already a bung and he was just using a mechanical simulator to avoid the CEL, otherwise you'll need the shop to add one.

You'll also notice some retardation when you are under the car and realize that the stock S pipe that feeds the vibrant is severely less than 2" in diameter, so the 3" back isn't doing anything but making extra noise. See if you can pick up a pope downpipe to match it. The Vibrant already has the J, so you'll need to have the muffler shop remove the J from one of them and replace it with a flex pipe. 3" is severe overkill for any amount of power the MSP should ever make, but if you already have a 3" exhaust, you might as well do it right.

However, I just can't believe anyone actually likes the VQ exhaust. It think it is the most artificial sounding exhaust on the planet, and every damn Nissan sounds exactly the same. The VQ sounds manufactured and hoarse, much lower than it should be, and because of that it sounds hollow and drones. V6's should be smooth and with a natural midrange frequency that screams at the top. My old KLDE and just a magnaflow muffler sounded infinitely classier. If I was somehow forced to drive a Nissan, the first thing I would do is replace that ******* obnoxious exhaust, otherwise I would cringe every time I turned the key.

I guess the world sells a shitload of fart cans, Nissan just figured they would save everyone the trouble.

In an ideal world where I simply didn't care about money, I would buy the Corksport 2.5" downpipe, and I would get a full custom 2.5" exhaust back with a hi-flow cat (because I don't like my eyes watering at stop lights, not because I care about emissions), a magnaflow resonator and muffler while keeping the stock "over the axle design" so it looked completely stock.

I actually priced this out and it wasn't that bad, I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a car worth so little since it will only hurt resale.

Back