SSFTC analysis and open loop

f1yen

:
Mazdaspeed,Protege
I am writing this to create my analysis of the FTC (how it functions etc) and hopefully answer some general questions about the system.

MSP general Open loop= 4200(or so) or higher RPM, or 3 seconds of 100%load.

To increase fuel in the lower rpms'....
I have been playing with the "overboost" function, and It seems to give me fuel enrichment via fuel trims (of which I do not want).
After I am over my overboost limit, the FTC interrupts the O2 signal and outputs its own "mock O2" signal. This signal should indicate a car running okay (aka flip flopping from high to low) I can confirm this, 0.8 to 0.2 volts flopping back and forth in my torque app.

Calling to confirm this with Split Sec, the SSFTC will flip flop back and forth from 0.8 to 0.2volts to simulate proper ratio to the ECU, in this way people can then add or decrese fuel in the fuel maps to adjust their AFR, only problem is, that my trims are changing with this "mock signal", when intuitively, I would think they should not.

Can anyone else confirm this? The trims increasing with time before hitting open loop.

For example in 4th gear, freeway, 3000 rpm or so, if I just get to about 3 psi and hold it, the car will not go into open loop, and my overboost is set at -1, in this way with my fuel tables still at 10 (no change). I can watch my Short Term Fuel Trim rise with time, up to +25% (and also see the AFR dropping into the 10's) in about 3 seconds. All in closed loop.
Hit Open loop after that, and dump some more fuel in! :(

I am by no means done tuning, I am just writing my analysis of the SSFTC here, I have heard that applying 1v to the O2 will trigger open loop, and I will try that soon.

...More analysis to come.

4/29/2013 - Called SS today, I have had some horrible problems when connected to the SSFTC.
With no laptop, the afr;s stay low and maybe peek 11.9 or so...
When my laptop is connected to the FTC and the car is on (trying to logg etc.), my trims go haywire and my car is ready to die, go into boost a little and it runs in 13's! GTFO of throttle fast!

SS suggested to loose the power inverter..(laptop has poor battery) THANK YOU Split Sec! It turned out that somehow there was some voltage offset when the computer ground (through the serial) was interacting with the inverter (to vehicle ground) and through the FTC ground....

Anyways, if you experience problems like I did, avoid the inverter.....

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread! It seem like everybody is using an ssafc and aren't worried about timing.

This is going to be a highly visited thread for me. I'm hoping to install my ssftc within the next week or two. Hopefully then, I can understand what language you are speeking. Lol.

Can anyone with a FTC or AFC confirm the logs keeping the same Short term trim? Mine rockets to +25% in a few seconds (while keeping the car in closed loop of course)

I may be looking into finding a better solution beyond this overboost function and beyond an O2 clamp... :/

Latest posts

Back