Squeak with Defrost on..

my car has been doing this for like a year and i just didn't bother fixing it cause i got a belt and that never helped so i stopped caring. but could anyone tell me how to tighten the belts to stop the squeaking? help is appreciated thanks.

Two bolts. One secures the Alternator or Power steering. The other tightens of loosens the belt. You will see a bolt and an adjustment bolt. THe adjustment bolt looks like a long bolt going through another piece. The holding bolt just looks like a bolt. Loosen the holding bolt (located on the bottom of the alternator BUT ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!). On the top of the Alt is the tension bolt. Screw the bolt in to tighten or our to loosen the belt or to get the belt loose enough to remove. Push down on the alternator to help it loosen. Same for the PS belt but- You will get access to the securing bolt through some holes in the pulley of the power steering. Crank the engine just a touch until the large open area is in front of the top bolt on the PS pump. You can easily see this from the passenger side of the engine. The hole will allow you to put a socket wrench through it to get to the bolt DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!. To drop the power steering pump low enough to remove the belt, you will have to completely loosen and remove the bottom tension bolt assembly. Before you put it back (not too hard actually) lube the threads of the tension bolt fully to make it easier to start the threads with your fingers.
All bolts are 14MM. It is very tight to get to the bolts but I have seen a lot worse.
On the 1.6 engine you do not have to remove anything to get to either belt.
THE MANUAL (Haynes) IS OF NO FREEKIN USE ON THE BELT ISSUE - so much for that comment.

Back