Spring clamps

cg2

do we need a spring clamp to take off the oem springs off the oem struts? im planing to get springs. i have a 02 protege5. anyways i searched the forums already but i couldnt get a for sure answer for the proteges... anyways any input will really help!

thanks again

Last edited:
You can remove them by having the car on jack stands and compressing the spring from below the ball joint and then slowly lowering it. However you cannot put them on in the opposite order because you don't want to have your hands in the spring to align the strut while you are compressing it. This is not a problem if you are installing aftermarket springs where you will most likely be able to compress them by hand. I have installed GC, Tein Gold, and Eibach Prokit springs this way.

In all honesty, you *CAN* do it without spring compressors, but it's probably not the best idea. You can file it away under 'legal but stupid'. If you're in the US, harbor frieght has excellent spring compressors for around $10, so it's not like you're going to break the bank getting them. The stock springs don't have THAT much tension in them, but is the $10 really worth the risk? If your answer is yes...well, let me introduce you to Mr. Darwin here :p

PS, noticed your post count. Welcome to the forum!

we rented ours at autozone or pepboys (i forget) for free. you put a $40 deposit down on debit card, and when you return it, they take the charge away.

Totally agree with Jonas. Go for the loan-a-tool freebies from Autozone.

If at all possible, I would highly recommend air tools for your spring job. I've done springs with and without...

With airtools: 2 minutes to compress/decompress spring.
Without airtools: 10 minutes to compress x4 = sore arm.

I have always done mine this way which is close to the same concept as with the jackstands noted above. First unbolt the strut top and raise the car up to slowly de-compress the spring with the weight of the car. Then unbolt from the hub to install springs and bolt back to hub. For re-install line things up as best as you can while lowering the car back down and then guide it in with a screw driver or allen wrench from the top.

thanks for all the hepl guys!!!

so far this forum has been helpful! im usually on honda-tech, but since i got this protege ive been doing all kinds of research!!

thanks again

Last edited:
fonzinator said:
Totally agree with Jonas. Go for the loan-a-tool freebies from Autozone.

If at all possible, I would highly recommend air tools for your spring job. I've done springs with and without...

With airtools: 2 minutes to compress/decompress spring.
Without airtools: 10 minutes to compress x4 = sore arm.

tell me about it. Then those endlinks OMFG. We did it without compressers and the suspensful build up to when you release the springs ended up being a let down. I've heard stories of broken noses and springs bouncing across the room but just a little pop. Then balancing 3 sub 5ft6 guys to compress the spring to get the bolt on was classic.

mmmm, air tools. ill just keep it going. def use air tools if you have them. took me about an hour and a half to change springs and struts with spring compressors and air tools.

well i just installed my skunk2 coilovers and i used the jackstand and jack trick! worked real good.

the car is sitting pretty low cause i put it to its lowest settings. anyways thanks for all your guys help!

Back