SIRIUS keeps flipping into "Acquiring" mode

fasteract

:
2008 MS3 GT
Any fix ideas in regards to my factory installed MS3 Sirius suddenly flipping in/out of "Acquiring" mode with short to several second runs of normal airplay? No obvious reason to suspect antennae any different. Have "Searched" and consensus seems to feel asking Sirius to resend activation signal is usually a waste. Cooked receiver or is there a reboot procedure I could try ? Appreciate anybody who has had a similar problem and their solutions..seems to be a common occurence.

THX

Am i correct in assuming a bad antenna problem would show the "Antenna failure" message, therefore it is probably the receiver box itself..a Sanyo which the BMW board seems to feel is often at fault ? I have 2008 (build before 1/2008) MS3.

Last edited:
This has been happening to mine since I got it installed. Called Sirius several times to get help and they re-sent the activation signal which didn't work, and then advised that I take it to the dealership. The dealership checked it out and replaced the antenna but it still does it.

Sometimes it will go months in between other times it happens every day.

Well, it looks my problem is heat related..the temp here has dropped back into the low 50's and the SAT is not going into "Aquired" mode so there must be some electonic component in the receiver box that is overheating just enough to make it cut out when the ambient temps are in the high 70's to 80's range. The "antenna not detected" message should come up if it is the ant. you would think. I was going to try putting a 12V computer fan aimed to blow at the receiver grill slots and see if this helps..sorta a bandaid fix but the idea of paying $280 for a new receiver and having to deal with Sirius cancelling my old receiver ID and putting the new ID in only gives them a chance to screw up even something this simple which they seem always capable of doing. I tried the reactivate signal multiple times without a fix.

I'llt to let you know if the fan idea is worth it.

Final .....despite the Sirius radio showing the "Acquiring" error message only, even with the antenna lead disconnected, the problem turned out to be a bad antenna..bought a $17.00 one off eBay and the problem has been resolved apparently since left radio ON for an hour + and no cutting out. As usual Sirius "Customer Care" was amazingly but at times hilariously unhelpful.

My radio must not have a "Antenna not Detected" error message despite what the Owner's Manual and Service says.........

Glad you got it figured out! I'll know what to do if mine gets bad enough that it really annoys the hell out of me.

Back