Shouldnt this go somewhere?

Ceasar1010

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003 and Miata STO 1997
Cleaning up under the hood I found this hanging way below the MAF. There is also some cable coming out from behind the battery. Im pretty sure the cut red wire use to be the Viper alarm speaker but shouldnt that sensor (assuming thats what it is) be IN the flow of air?

IMG_0148[1].JPG

Also the exaust manifold only has 3 bolts! I took the cover off and said WTH! Can this be a boost leak or something.

Looks like your IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Your intern intake should have a hole to the right of your mad sensor ( if your standing facing the front of the car)

You definitely need to replace the exhaust mani hardware asap. The Injen is a cold air intake but the previous owner of your car converted it to a short ram and removed the second pipe that has the provision for that IAT sensor. Many of us including myself have the sensor hanging in the bay like that.

I thought it might have something to do with the hiccup. The engine seems to have very random hiccups... It purrs .. Hiccup .. Purr purr hiccup. You can see the rpm dip for a split second. I'm not an expert by far, all the info I get is from here google and YouTube

Hiccup....are you running rich at all?
My N/A car will do that on rare occasions when the engine's hot cause of no cat and the o2 sensors making it run a bit rich.

Check your egr
Also, go to autozone, get some MAF cleaner...nothing else will do. MAF is coated in platinum, and many other cleaners will render your sensor useless.
Check your spark plugs. Note any scorching, carbon, etc. Hit them with a small copper brush, and reinstall
OHM the coils. Not sure what the output should be (anyone care to chime in?), but if your resistance is too high, and the voltage is low....that coil is arching and should be replaced
Check the Cat if it's got one. Clogged or fouled cat could be throwing weird readings from the o2 sensors
Or...
Check the tensioner for the belts. I had one go bad. The engine would kinda surge under full throttle. Like the motor was "pushing and pulling the belt" as my mechanic said, like the tensioner was bouncing. Had a jeep do it to me too...then it jumped time and put a valve through the #3 piston...yay.

but yeah...check the EGR

Last edited:
I am going to just unplug all the vac hoses, examine and replace. Seems like so many things can be due to vac leaks. I changed the one to the Wastegate and Recirculting valve. Someone said also the missing 5 bolts on the exaust manifold could be doing it also.

Also if I can ask another question :: I was looking an my fuel injectors are two diffrent colors. the left are purple and the right are grey. From what I have seen they are always the same color as long as they are all the same, so perhaps diffrent brands?

BTW I broke my MAF so I am getting a new one. Im kinda dead in the water. I broke that darn sensor. Its a used one so Im gonna clean it with that spray hornsfan suggested.

Also if I can ask another question :: I was looking an my fuel injectors are two diffrent colors. the left are purple and the right are grey. From what I have seen they are always the same color as long as they are all the same, so perhaps diffrent brands? == thats not right isnt it

Also if I can ask another question :: I was looking an my fuel injectors are two diffrent colors. the left are purple and the right are grey. From what I have seen they are always the same color as long as they are all the same, so perhaps diffrent brands? == thats not right isnt it

They are diffferent b/c that's how they came from the factory.... not sure why.

Yeah no worries on the injectors, they are supposed to be like that. It confuses many people

Back