Should I become a member? Evaluating a p5!

dpeteb

So I'm considering joining this lovely mazda community, so I'll start off with my question about what to look for when purchasing a protege5.

I've done some reading, and I'm currently trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a manual silver 2003 with 145,000 km for about $4000 (CAD) pre-negotiation price.

A few notes:

1. How do I tell if it has ABS?

2. Rust: The dealer selling it has put some work into the body. The rear quarters look fine, he said he has sandblasted and "added some metal" to the rear wheel wells...that looks to be a silver spray-on or fiberous application. There is some bubbling along the driver-side runners (?) which has obviously been touched up. "Live with the rust" is what I hear...do I assume this car will melt away in a year or two, or is there any chance it will have residual value?

3. Timing belt. It's supposed to be due at 150,000km right? I'm assuming it's not done, and I was quoted about $370+hst for parts and labour at a local shop. Would it be wise to do the water pump ($75) as well?

He's done the brakes, rebuilt the strut tower bearings, refinished the headlight plastic, replaced something on the suspension linkage. Drives straight and true, clutch feels fine, short turn-over on the engine, about 1-2 seasons left on the summer tires on alloys.

I was going to have it inspected by another mechanic to see if there's anything else to note. I think I could negotiate to $3500 given the need to do the timing belt.

So the real question is: Do I take a chance on a car that's been patched up, or wait it out and find one that has full service records and rust proofing?

IMG_20120525_175125.jpg

IMG_20120525_175230.jpg

Ya that rust was painted over

Best way to tell if it has abs or not is slam on the brakes while driving it if they lock up it doesn't have abs

$370 sounds odd most people pay 600-900 to have it done. I would have the dealer do it

People are very knowledgeble here if they say find another one then do it. I am guessing if the price was much cheaper it would be worth taking a chance on but as it sits I would pass as well.

Back