short shifter installation

OK, from the top of the pivot ball to the top of the stock shifter is 9-11/16" inches. Total overall length is 12-11/16" on stock shifter. Do you know the total length of the kartboy?

Ok, with the factory shifter installed, and the console out...if you put the bottom of the kartboy on the tunnel next to the factory shifter, it's the same length. If that wasn't too confusing...

Tasty said:
That could be helpful. Stupid question though: From the pivot ball down were the lengths the same? Guess it would HAVE to be to mate up down below. Anyway, I have my stock shifter and I'll measure to compare. Thanks!

The lower portion of the shifter, below the pivot ball, is longer than the stock one. This is called the fulcrum. And having a longer fulcrum is what makes it a short-throw shifter instead of merely a short shifter. Because the fulcrum is longer, the heat shield usually needs to be modified (bent, cut, or removed completely. I bent mine with some pliers, but just don't bend it too much or it will contact your exhaust and cause a rattle.

Tasty said:
OK, from the top of the pivot ball to the top of the stock shifter is 9-11/16" inches. Total overall length is 12-11/16" on stock shifter. Do you know the total length of the kartboy?

The total length of the kartboy is 10-9/16".

5PADZAM said:
The lower portion of the shifter, below the pivot ball, is longer than the stock one. This is called the fulcrum. And having a longer fulcrum is what makes it a short-throw shifter instead of merely a short shifter. Because the fulcrum is longer, the heat shield usually needs to be modified (bent, cut, or removed completely. I bent mine with some pliers, but just don't bend it too much or it will contact your exhaust and cause a rattle.

The total length of the kartboy is 10-9/16".

I did not know this. Makes sense though. I have often found myself wondering why a simply shorter shifter would be desirable, but now I know short vs. short throw.

I think with these measurements I should be able to come up with the right specs for the boot. I just hate to get it wrong when it costs like $50 for a custom boot.

i got mine from cosmo racing about 1 in. shorter and 26 to 28% reduction in thow, and no heat shiled problems with mine, but i was ready to bend it if there was.

so it seems everyone likes the short shifter replacement for the stock shifter. I don;t have lots of cash so I want to make sure this is a great thing to change. Other than the heat shield, everyone likes it!

So it seems both TWM and B&M both have positive feedback....which is good. I am leaning towrds the TWM.

Wish me luck...since I have never done ANYTHING to a car in my life!!!

Not a hard mod. B&M comes more highly recommended on this website from all the posts I've seen. I see that one referenced more, but I'm sure they're both good. Get short THROW though, not short shifter. For the reasons explained above.

Yeah,I also have the Kartboy SS/bushing package.Total night and day from stock as the shifting.I also hated the long bus driver throws that the stock shifter had.But after I installed it,I was amazed how much better it felt.You throw to each gear so much smoother and more direct w/o having to worry about grinding,especially w/ the Kartboy bushing.The only issue I really was the pain in the ass of taking out the snap ring and taking off the stock rubber bushing.But other than that,it's smooth sailing.

Phoenix5 said:
Yeah,I also have the Kartboy SS/bushing package.Total night and day from stock as the shifting.I also hated the long bus driver throws that the stock shifter had.But after I installed it,I was amazed how much better it felt.You throw to each gear so much smoother and more direct w/o having to worry about grinding,especially w/ the Kartboy bushing.The only issue I really was the pain in the ass of taking out the snap ring and taking off the stock rubber bushing.But other than that,it's smooth sailing.

Yeah, I forgot about the snap ring. It is a real b**** unless you have a pair of snap ring pliers. It can be done, but it makes it a lot tougher.

You can take it out without snap ring pliers? Someone please tell me you have video of this!

Yeah, I was able to get it out with a flat screwdriver and another screwdriver that I had ground down to a dull point, kind of like an ice pick. I don't recomend trying this though, I damn near jammed the pick thru my finger. Sorry, no video, but I can show you the scar, lol

Man. You really should have gotten vid. :p You realize that snap ring pliers are like $5 right? And would have taken probably as much time to get from any hardware store as it took to file down your screw driver to a tip....

Just an observation (crazy)

aMaff said:
Man. You really should have gotten vid. :p You realize that snap ring pliers are like $5 right? And would have taken probably as much time to get from any hardware store as it took to file down your screw driver to a tip....

Just an observation (crazy)

Yeah, I know. I have a pair but I couldn't find them. I live in a somewhat rural area, and the hardware store was closed after 3:30 on Sundays, and that's the only day I had to work on my car. I didn't want to have to wait a week to install my short shifter. (drive2)

Also, the screwdriver was already ground to a point from a previous project from years ago. It is a handy tool, and I use it often.

lol fair enough. We'll just file this one under 'legal but kinda stupid' lol :p

whitemp5seattle said:
where do you live in Eastern WA? It's like an old western scene out there sometimes... *tumbleweed*

I live in Colfax, WA. It's about an hour South of Spokane. Yeah, we do get some tumbleweeds here, but the gunfights have pretty much died out, lol.

Tasty said:
How much shorter is the kartboy shifter than stock. I think I'm going to order up a custom short shift boot from Redline pretty soon, but I don't know the drop to give to them to make it right. Tom at Kartboy told me via email he thought it was 1".

I dont know what the difference is between the kartboy and the b&m, but I bought a boot from redline (black leather with red quadruple stitching) for my b&m and told him to make it 2" shorter than the stock boot. It fits perfectly, doesn't tuck into the console anymore to collect dust and crumbs... I like the mazda 6 shift knob, waaaay better than the stock P5 one. It's heavier and makes shifting easier

Back