Second guessing my color choice

ladygrey

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring MT, Carbon Grey
So, I have a carbon grey 5, but it's been at the dealership for almost a week.

They rented me a Taurus, but I threw a tiny fit and they switched me to a mazda5 on Saturday.

The rental is the stellar greensilver and I LOVE it. When we bought I didn't even go look at it because from the website it looked too "minivan" to me. But everyone loves this color. I have gotten more comments on this car is 2 days than I've gotten on my grey 5 in 2 months. The kids love it, the husband loves it. I like it because it can't decide what color it wants to be. First it's green, then it's blue and at night it looks silver. If you are shopping I highly recommend taking a look at the green before you decide, it looks quite a bit different in real life than on the web.

It's actually been kind of fun having the rental to compare things. It's an auto, I have a 5sp, it's a sport, I have a touring. Hopefully I won't have it much longer though.

dommo_g said:
Is that auto a dog? And have you snapped any pics of it?

If you'd like to see some pics of it, just click the link in my sig to see mine :D

I have an 5 S Touring auto :)

Too funny. We originally set out to buy the greensilver. (wife saw the color on the web and thought it looked nice). When we pulled up to the dealership and she saw the color in person. She said "Man, what an ugly color". I was like.. "Ah, Honey, that is the Mazda5 we came to buy."

Well, I got out voted and we ended up with a whitewater pearl.

:)

I agree with the thought that the Greensilver reminds me of toothpaste. It's too 'winter green' or minty. I personally think I'd kind of puke up a little bit if every day I walked out to my driveway to drive that color car(haha, jk). Seriously, it's not bad, per se, but definately just not my taste. I'll admit though, if you're going for that unique color that people will talk about, greensilver definately gets the job done. I actually love Carbon Gray, but unfortunately it's not available for the 07MY, so I ordered Whitewater Pearl.

Another color that I realized looks COMPLETELY different in person is the Platinum Silver. Online it looks like just a flat silver, but in person it does have a platinum-gold tone to it. I was actually going into buy that color, but thankfully I got a chance to see it first hand. Once again, another reason I ended up with Whitewater ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still not sure I would buy it, but it has been fun trying it out.

dommo_g said:
Is that auto a dog? And have you snapped any pics of it?

Compared to the 5sp - yes. It is definitely not quite as peppy and not as fun to drive. But, as far as automatics go, it's not too bad. I haven't driven a auto regularly in about 12 years, but compared to the ones I have driven off and on it is much better. Definitely more power than that P.T. Cruiser I rented in Austin. That thing wouldn't move even with the pedal to the floor.

It doesn't do that annoying thing that some do where the car feels like it has a mind of it's own and is always rolling forward. The husband drove it on the highway yesterday and said it was fine, plenty of power when needed. I haven't driven it on the highway yet. Maybe today.

I was surprised at how much I missed the ACC control yesterday - it really is nice to be able to set it and forget it. I kept getting cold, and then hot, and then cold.

No pics - hell, I haven't managed to take pics of my car ;)

Another color that I realized looks COMPLETELY different in person is the Platinum Silver. Online it looks like just a flat silver, but in person it does have a platinum-gold tone to it.

I quite liked the platinum-gold tone. :)

perfecto said:
I quite liked the platinum-gold tone. :)
It's almost as if the paint color is silver with gold metallic flakes... something I'm sure the sun brings out and a camera ignores.

nevermind....

I have my carbon grey back and am loving it more than ever. One kid is upset, she really really loved the green.

I did get a chance to drive the automatic on the highway last night. I have to say, that's what it was made for. I thought it was much more fun to drive relatively aggresively on the highway that it was puttering around town. My standard drive is on 45 mph, open, winding, brand new, low traveled roads heading in and out of a business center. Those roads are way more fun with the 5 speed. I only got about 16.5 MPG in the rental - granted, we drove it very stop and go around town all day Sunday looking at houses for sale, but still that seems awfully low - maybe the engine hasn't broken in all the way (does that take longer in an auto? It had about 2000 miles on it). I haven't had a tank less than 20 mpg in mine yet.

My other observations...

Get the wind deflector for the moon roof - it really cuts down on the noise.

I will never b**** about the ACC again. I love it.

well, glad to hear you're happy with you CGM once again!

also, from my understanding of several different models of cars, about 15k miles is when the engine's finally broken in for highest gas mileage numbers

ladygrey said:
nevermind....

I have my carbon grey back and am loving it more than ever. One kid is upset, she really really loved the green.

I did get a chance to drive the automatic on the highway last night. I have to say, that's what it was made for. I thought it was much more fun to drive relatively aggresively on the highway that it was puttering around town. My standard drive is on 45 mph, open, winding, brand new, low traveled roads heading in and out of a business center. Those roads are way more fun with the 5 speed. I only got about 16.5 MPG in the rental - granted, we drove it very stop and go around town all day Sunday looking at houses for sale, but still that seems awfully low - maybe the engine hasn't broken in all the way (does that take longer in an auto? It had about 2000 miles on it). I haven't had a tank less than 20 mpg in mine yet.

My other observations...

Get the wind deflector for the moon roof - it really cuts down on the noise.

I will never b**** about the ACC again. I love it.

I've never experienced the sluggish and slightly less colder AC that some have talked about...We're getting temperatures in the high 80's and 90's around here lately and it's responding fine with the fan only set at 3 with recirc on...

I'd also have to agree with the wind deflector choice...I've found it's cut down highway road noise down quite a bit, and blocks a good amount of the sunlight when you want to cruise with the top open :)

Even though the Carbon Gray seems to get dirty easily, I just keep reminding myself that on a low-production car, the 2006 ONLY color makes it quasi-unique!

Back in May of 2005 when we placed the order for our 5 - we wanted silver and they didn't even have colour chips yet. We had the choice and decided to go with Platinum Silver. If I had gone to the lot when they told me it was in and saw the Stellar Silver I think I would have (blarf) . Thankfully the Platinum Silver is a sweet colour - and looks way better in person than it does in pictures!!

I had the option between carbon grey and pink, I called the wife on the way to the dealer and she demanded pink as we had 3 silver cars in my driveway not more than a year before (2000 silver mustang\2000 silver focus (my winter car\2000 silver sunfireGT (hers) ) so a shade of grey was out of the question. Pinks nice though, it brings out my feminine side

jandree22 said:
Another color that I realized looks COMPLETELY different in person is the Platinum Silver.

Our strato blue mica looks blurple. The pictures all show it as a nice blue, but ours is more blue/purple. My wife likes it so that's whats important.

Back