Sand Mazda Rim repair?

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Had five(5) old Mazda rims powder coated.
One rim was returned with big pits and divots in the centerbore due to sandblasting. Regardless of blasters fault or rim corrosion/defect, decided to DIY fix as it's powdercoated and need the rim for my fullsize spare.

Used JB weld aluminum to fill in Centerbore divots. Waiting for it to cure.

Has anyone ever sanded JB weld?
Is it better to sand halfway hardened through cure or wait til full cure?

May have applied a little too thick so may have some recent sanding ahead. Hoping the fix is still close to centerbore measurement.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
While I've never repaired a wheel using JB I have used it MANY times for other repairs.

Wait till it cures and hardens completely before you attempt to tool it or sand. You won't get a good result otherwise.

If you applied it a bit too thick, use a file or rasp to take down the excess. You could even use a Dremel if you have one. Once you get close you can use some wet/dry sandpaper to finish it off.

Upvote 0
While I've never repaired a wheel using JB I have used it MANY times for other repairs.

Wait till it cures and hardens completely before you attempt to tool it or sand. You won't get a good result otherwise.

If you applied it a bit too thick, use a file or rasp to take down the excess. You could even use a Dremel if you have one. Once you get close you can use some wet/dry sandpaper to finish it off.
Thanks Conrad.
Left it cure for 24 hours(package said only 8 hours), filed off the edges then sanded with 320 grit.

Looks good so far. Gonna test for fit on hub. As it's only the centerbore, may just leave as is as long as it fits. No sense sanding with 800 and 1000 grits for something not seen.

Upvote 0
Back