safe to ignore my CEL for now?

My misfires started around 90,000 km, which is about 70,000 miles, sort of...

It was my coilpacks. replaced them for $15 each. no more random misfires.

Thanks for tips, guys!

Edit: My Sparkies are pretty new, put them in about 8k miles ago. So I'll check out the coil packs.

Nealric:

Check your brake fluid levels in the reservoir. When they are low the light will come on.

What CEL code are you running?

I have plenty of brake fluid (did the big brakes just a few thousand miles ago).

However, I did notice that cooland was very low. Could that be the issue?

Cant check the CEL code since I cleared it and it hasnt come back on in 20 miles now.

ive been ignoring my CEL for a dead speed sensor in the tranny for like half a year now. no biggy aslong as i know what it is. not if something else acts fishy then i'll have that looken at.

So basically, if there WAS a problem, you may not know until something actually happnes. Next time, get the code read before you clear the light. I hope for your sake it wasn't anything major...

Tengo said:
ive been ignoring my CEL for a dead speed sensor in the tranny for like half a year now. no biggy aslong as i know what it is. not if something else acts fishy then i'll have that looken at.

Keep in mind that the other downsside to just ignoring the light is that if something else fails and throw a new code, you won't know it 'cuase the ligbht is already on.

RatLabGuy said:
Keep in mind that the other downsside to just ignoring the light is that if something else fails and throw a new code, you won't know it 'cuase the ligbht is already on.
yeah i know. hopefully i'll be ble to tell if something else happens and that would cause a light, i plan on fixing it soon anyway.

my check engine light came on tonight too.

I have an 02.5 w/ 65k miles. I still haven't done my 60k checkup but the car is running great. I will be changing the plugs soon and wires look great.

Anywho... I immidiately drove over to Autozone and checked the code.

P0037

downstream 02 sensor. I went ahead and bought a universal one ($67... ouch).

I also went ahead and reset the code. I'll wait and see if the enigne light comes back on, otherwise I'll go ahead and replace it.

Car feels and runs fine, but gas mileage may suffer.

Hey everybody, newbie here. My wife has been driving the P5 with the CEL on for at least a year now. It now has 72,000 on it. Although I have religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles, I just now got around to changing the spark plugs. They each had well over .050 gap!

Anyway, borrowed a friends code reader and got the P0037. I guess I'll be installing an O2 sensor this weekend.

Hey everybody, newbie here. My wife has been driving the P5 with the CEL on for at least a year now. It now has 72,000 on it. Although I have religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles, I just now got around to changing the spark plugs. They each had well over .050 gap!

Anyway, borrowed a friends code reader and got the P0037. I guess I'll be installing an O2 sensor this weekend.

Back