Rough Idle 02-P5

CraigDR069

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
ok here we are... ive changed out the MAF sensor... 250 and change with my discount...and i still have a rough idle( low rpm) every time its at a stand still... it also idles down when shifting ...ie ... as i depress the clutch it idles so low as i have to add foot to the gas... so ive read that it could be my IAC Valve...yet it all seems clean and shiny hmmm...do i go into the throtlebody or moreover how do i clean it... am I looking in the wrong area

Thanks
Craig
2002 Mazda P5

Don't forget to give seafoam a try,... $10 and 10 minutes might just do it. Could be just a gummed up injector.

Last edited:
^^^+1 for this.

Also maybe check the intake piping (especially if still stock) for any cracks, that could cause some rough idle. I would think it would be practically torn open by the time it would almost stall at a stop.

yes ok my intake pipe was distroyed when i bought it and was ductaped topgether
then tis idle thing happened at this point the tape s shreaded and i duc taped it again
it worked for a few months now im here soooooooo..... i hav black silicone and
black electrictape..... it is as new as it can get ....

ok im at the EGR.. and it is the only component on my motor that is completely rusted tight ...
and is in a tight cramped space i have a 12mm snubnose combination wrench... i cannot get the valve off without taking the whole valve body ... any suggestions

i hvent even looked at fuel yet... gumed up injector would run off all the time... not just at idle...hmmmm....
it is running fine at start up... and when i have the revsup... but not at idle.... and shifting is bogs out... and dies in reverse

yes ok my intake pipe was distroyed when i bought it and was ductaped topgether
then tis idle thing happened at this point the tape s shreaded and i duc taped it again
it worked for a few months now im here soooooooo..... i hav black silicone and
black electrictape..... it is as new as it can get ....

Here's the intake tube from Rock Auto:

Related Parts
2002 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L L4 : Fuel/Air : Air Cleaner Intake Hose Price CAD$24.34 (plus tax and shipping)
DORMAN Part # 696601 {#FP4713220A}

If you do consider a new EGR don't forget to look at the "Canadian" version,... it has coolant lines and is way more reliable.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # EGV1124 {#FSY118W00} Intermotor CAD$111.31

If you try seafoam, half goes in the gas and half goes in the vacuum line feeding the brake booster. It can even help to clean the EGR and IAC.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...m-Engine-flush

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...in-the-protege

PS,... I know I need seafoam again when it starts to stumble at idle, I don't notice any other symptoms at any other RPMS.
I think it's well worth the $10 and 10 minutes to see if it helps.

Last edited:
A ok on the seafoam spray... thanks it got rid of alot of the carbon... chunks and chunks of carbon...
it looks like the seat on the inflow side of the valve was carboned open causing an air leak of sorts...

Back