Rotary Replacement

Kieper

Hey everyone.

I work at a shop that is well, really oldschool, the owner really has no faith in the internet. Anyway we recently got a job involving an RX-7. We pulled the motor because it was pretty burned up (main berings and whatnot) and I was just curious if anyone could give me a link to a business that can rebuild our existing engine, or send us a rebuilt motor.

I say we should just pull it apart and check into it but the owner just wants a rebuild so were doing whats being asked of us. Any information you guys can offer would be really awesome thanks.

if the rotary was run out of oil and burned up to the point of seizing... it will probably cost more to rebuild than to replace...

if it still cranks, you've got hope.

Either way, a rebuild of a rotary engine (or at least a tear down, once you understand the basic concepts of the motor) will at the very least instill a slight fetish for triangles into your daily life... but will most likely (as in my case) make you wonder why so many engines use pistons... (the more I learn about the rotary... the more I wonder why so many engineers/designers think you need a heavy metal object changing direction 4 times per combustion cycle... versus a rotor that doesn't change direction... so every time an apex goes past an intake, it intakes... explodes.... and then exhausts...)

but then again maybe I just have a triangle fetish. :)

we've got a guy on board now who is well versed in rotary rebuilds. give me a shout in the morning and we can talk.

Perhaps he should join MF so he can give his knowledge (peep) unless he's already a member...
Captain KRM P5 said:
we've got a guy on board now who is well versed in rotary rebuilds. give me a shout in the morning and we can talk.

he is a member, he just does not post much. i think his screenname is Cosmopowered.

Back