Right Caliper for a 99 Protege?

mazdalove99

:
99 Mazda Protege
I had the front brakes replaced at the end of January then had the right wheel bearing replaced at the beginning of March. A little afterwards when I went to apply my brakes they started making this rubbing, friction noise. It's not high pitched, almost sounds like the noise made when scratching a ballon. I took it back and was told that brake pads sometimes have chunks of metal on them and they could shave them down, but it would take away from the life of the pad. Didn't have any work done since I doubt that was the cause. If it was the cause it probably would have made the noise a lot sooner. I went to another place for a second opinion. They heard the noise and said the right caliper was shaking (they put it up on the lift and had me look while it was shaking) and said that it was not supposed to. It would be still safe to drive though but, it's not really doing anything good for the brakes. Then I was asked if I had the wheel bearing changed recently. I said yes, last month. And that's when I realized the noise started 6 days after changing it. Coincidence? They said that the hub probably got bent when the wheel bearing got put in. They suggested I go back to where I got the work done and see if it's under warranty. I went back to the place that did the work and told them what was found and without checking out my car this time they said that the right caliper was supposed to shake and that there was nothing wrong with the wheel bearing and that the brakes were good. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Sound slike the shop you had the bearing done messed something up. Caliper should not shake or make noise. These cars have pressed wheel bearings, if not installed correctly it will cause a shake, but you should feel the shake driving down the road as well. Also when doing a wheel bearing you have to remove the brakes. So if I was you I would go back to that shop and demand that the problem gets fixed I work in a shop for a living, I have been a tech here and now I am a manager her and if my guys did sonmething like that they would have to find the problem, rather it be caliper pin locked up or bearing installed wrong. I would have thier heads if they let a car leave my shop in that kind of condition. There is a issure there and it needs to be resolved, this kind of issue really needs to be looked at hard to tell what the problem is without being able to see it for myself. But I do wish you luck and if all else fails I would talk with a lawyer about the situation as to they are the ones that did the work. If anything they should be a shop that wants to make money. They should check it out and if it was not their fault then bam! there is money to be made. If there is a problem theat they cause they should take care of it.

Latest posts

Back