Retro-fitting Satellite Radio

bacarl

Hey guys, the answer to my question may be found on a Sirius site or some such place, but I'm an electronics/audio newb and figured I'd go for direct feedback:

My stock head unit has a Sat Radio button, but I didn't order the option with my car. After having spent considerable time in a Sirius-equipped car, I decided I'm addicted. What kind of undertaking is it to retrofit my radio with Sirius?

I'm guessing the groundwork is already laid, since the headunit is obviously set up for satellite; I don't know if my car already has an antenna; the dealership quoted me >$500 to install the option, so I say they can go get f'd (lol2)

Thanks for any feedback!

It is really easy.
You need the receiver, antenna, and a cable. You will have to pull the deck to see what cable you need.
Is it equipped for Sirius or XM? My experience, Sirius needs a 13-pin connector. It is the same cable as you would run for a CD changer. All of my stuff was made by Kenwood, so it bolted right in. A little more info would help.
Give me the radio brand, take a pic of the back of the deck, and it should be really easy.
BTW, what channel you like on Sirius?

I'm guessing it's equipped for Sirius, just since it's a Ford brand? Someone who paid for the option could confirm...

The radio is my original equipment, big ass stock Mazda radio, but I like it so I plan to keep it. Plus it already has that nice big SAT button that I keep wanting to push.

A pic of the back will take some time..maybe this weekend if I have time for that little project. Come to think of it I could probably find a pic posted on here; I'll go look.

I listened to AltNation21 mostly, but I found tons of stations that I liked, that's why I want it back! The other Sirius-equipped vehicle was a company car that I had to return yesterday.

Yeah, I will try to find which it is equipped for. It shouldnt be much either way. Same components are needed.
You should check out Faction (28). Ellis is awesome on my way home from work everyday. MC six pounds!

So how much should receiver, antenna and cable cost?

Also, will the antenna have to be run out of the hatch or someplace onto the roof? Want to be as un-tacky as possible.

If you were on here about a month ago, you could have gotten one for free(doh)
I gave one away in the "pay it forward" thread. I would expect to pay ~$50 for the receiver and $25 or so for the antenna. The cable could cost anywhere from $5-$30.

And yes, it has to go on your trunk or roof. I unstalled mine on my roof by my windshied and you can barely recognize its there. I also have a really slim antenna though.

If you're hooking this up to the OEM HU then you have to get the Mazda sirius receiver... you can't use a random aftermarket one. New from the dealer it will run you $305, though they often pop up on ebay for about $150. Like he said you just need the receiver, cable, and antenna. Most of the cost for the install quoted by the dealer is labor since following the Mazda install instructions the receiver is mounted in the trunk/hatch area of the car behind the paneling. That means they have to remove the paneling between there and the HU to run the wire. If you have a day off you can easily install this yourself as long as you have no compunctions against taking your car apart. Also if you prefer you don't have to install the receiver in the back.... several people have done it in or behind the glove box.

any specific reasons why you have to get the Mazda reciever? im trying to make sense why an aftermarket would not work

any specific reasons why you have to get the Mazda reciever? im trying to make sense why an aftermarket would not work
Aftermarket will work fine. However, the Mazda one will integrate with the stock HU, display, and steering wheel switches.

Because Mazda's engineers designed the HU so that it will only work with the Mazda sirius receiver so that they'd get the money for it and keep people from buying aftermarket receivers which are way less expensive.

Rotus 8 said:
Aftermarket will work fine. However, the Mazda one will integrate with the stock HU, display, and steering wheel switches.

He's not talking about installing an aftermarket sirius unit with a separate head/controller, he's talking about getting a receiver box like you would connect to an aftermarket satellite ready stereo and plugging it into the OEM HU.

Latest posts

Back