Replacing OEM 2-part brake shims

I have 2016 with 57k miles and the front brakes appear to be factory original. I am using Akebono Pro Act pads which I believe are direct replacements. The pads all come with one metal shim each. The factory originals have a two-part metal shim as shown in the service manual. Am I supposed to reuse the outer metal shims and add them to the shims that came with the replacement pads? Or just the new pads with the one piece shim included in the box? Any help is appreciated.

I have 2016 with 57k miles and the front brakes appear to be factory original. I am using Akebono Pro Act pads which I believe are direct replacements. The pads all come with one metal shim each. The factory originals have a two-part metal shim as shown in the service manual. Am I supposed to reuse the outer metal shims and add them to the shims that came with the replacement pads? Or just the new pads with the one piece shim included in the box? Any help is appreciated.
For 2016 CX-5 the workshop manual does show 2 different shims on the back of the front brake pads. If I were you I’d use the single shim comes with the new pads on the back of each front pad. Make sure to apply some anti-rattle moly brake grease on the shim and the back of each pad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back