Remanufactured Engine

I need to find a remanufactured engine for my '03 P5 Auto. Has anyone dealt with an online vendor they'd recommend?

I've been gone awhile, but am hoping to get back in the scene soon.Lots of crap going on and kid #4 on the way.

Thanks,

-peel

Check with Ken at Protege Garage see what he has. I have a local dealer here in Miami but I do not know how much shipping will be.

Since Ken is not dealing them with you can check with Kooldino @ speedcircuit.

Thanks, I wasn't really wanting to go used at this point since I'm not going to be able to do the rebuild and install myself. I figure if I'm paying someone to install it, I may as well pay them to install a new(reman) one so I don't have to pay them again a few years down the road.

-peel

That means the dealer.

Dealer for a remanufactured engine? Does that mean that no one out there is selling remans for our cars?

Maybe rebuilt is the better term, but usually, remanufactured use more new parts like pistons, crank, rods, etc.

Normally I would pull the engine and rebuild it myself, I just have too many projects on my plate now and can't really have the car down for much longer. In our disgusting Saint Louis heat, I'm afraid I might start baking in the truck I'm borrowing as it has no A/C.

Most re-built engines are the ones going forged. That is why a good used engine with about 40 to 50 k miles is the best way to go. You might pick one up for about $600. A new engine the way you want will be way north of $2000.

Yeah, the one I thought I was purchasing was $2195. Unfortunately it never showed. I've found some other companies online with similar prices, but having been burned once, wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation.

I've been checking car-parts in my area for awhile and most of the engines near me are just not doing anything for me. I might go back to my original plan of buying the cheapest one I can and rebuilding it.

Or maybe I'll just wait until someone is selling a Mazdaspeed engine and use the extra money to buy the goodies I'll need to turbo my P5.

I just really want to drive my car again :(

-peel

But the MSP engine is the same as the P5's. Only difference is the addition of the turbo and such.
That's why I'd go with the MSP, for the turbo and such. I was really just throwing stuff out there.

Have you tried Jasper? That seems like the logical choice to me.

Just started looking into Jasper now. I haven't heard to much about them or their reputation so I now have two people who have suggested them.
Or you could contact Kooldino (he sells forged as well) and then pay someone local to do the install???
http://www.speedcircuit.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_38&products_id=172&osCsid=ca546bc991a96523d3e421fc4f7a135e

$1100 + shipping for a used FS with under 40k....

That's kind of how I ended up where I am. The mechanic I've been going to since I was 17 (15 years now) had found a decent used engine and was going to get the engine and do the install for a little over 3K. I found the reman engine that I tried to buy and they were going to install it for $1250. So for a couple hundred more I was going to get a "new" engine as opposed to a used one.

Don't know why I'm so wary of used engines, guess it's just cause, like my car, you don't know what you're gonna get. Theoretically my engine has less than 70K miles on it, and it's dead.

Thanks for the info, please keep it coming. I'm not kaiboshing the used engine, just looking at all my options.

-peel

Holy Crap! Just got an online quote from Jasper and it's $3796.00 for the engine.

I think Speedcircuit used to sell their base forged longblock for less than that.

Hmmm... Guess it's time to start checking with local rebuilders and considering pulling mine and having it rebuilt.

This stuff is just too frustrating. Looks like next time I buy a car, I'm buying something old and cheap, or something brand new.

Back