recommended mods for '15 CX-5?

pumahunter

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Have had my '15 CX-5 grand touring for about a month now...not trying to get crazy with mod's, but would like to do a couple things to boost performance/mpg a little, air intake being one of them. I also have pretty much zero experience with this stuff, so I was hoping you fine fellas could help me out...? Like for air intake, specific brand that's better? Fit? (gah)

I'll make it easy:

The best performance will be with the OEM air intake. It is awesome in it's design and it comes with a super efficient synthetic fiber air filter with massive surface area and really thick pleats. You might be able to slightly increase your real world MPG by restricting it but this will definitely impact available power so it's not something anyone I know wants to do.

The engine is superbly optimized by Mazda and there's not really any room for significant improvements short of putting in some of Mazda's high Molybdenum 0W20 synthetic oil. That will give a very slight boost to MPG and power but you may or may not feel it.

You could get a little more acceleration and better MPG by springing for some lighter wheels. If acceleration and better MPG are your primary goals, you might consider reducing wheel width by an inch or less (assuming you can find tires with proper speed/load ratings in narrower sizes) but this will slightly reduce cornering performance. Probably better to try to pick wheels and tires on the lighter side of the spectrum in standard sizes. Avoid models with 19" wheels for maximum MPG/acceleration. Also avoid unnecessary exterior protruding accessories such as mud flaps and roof racks. Models without the moonroof are lighter and have a lower center of gravity for better cornering and the manual transmission FWD will offer better performance over an Auto with AWD.

Other than this, keep to the scheduled maintenance, rotate tires regularly (and check pressures) and try not to let a bunch of unneeded weight build up inside in the form of junk that never gets removed. Most people who choose the CX-5 are happy with it's performance (or they would have chosen a vehicle with more performance to begin with).

I'll make it easy:

The best performance will be with the OEM air intake. It is awesome in it's design and it comes with a super efficient synthetic fiber air filter with massive surface area and really thick pleats. You might be able to slightly increase your real world MPG by restricting it but this will definitely impact available power so it's not something anyone I know wants to do.

The engine is superbly optimized by Mazda and there's not really any room for significant improvements short of putting in some of Mazda's high Molybdenum 0W20 synthetic oil. That will give a very slight boost to MPG and power but you may or may not feel it.

You could get a little more acceleration and better MPG by springing for some lighter wheels. If acceleration and better MPG are your primary goals, you might consider reducing wheel width by an inch or less (assuming you can find tires with proper speed/load ratings in narrower sizes) but this will slightly reduce cornering performance. Probably better to try to pick wheels and tires on the lighter side of the spectrum in standard sizes. Avoid models with 19" wheels for maximum MPG/acceleration. Also avoid unnecessary exterior protruding accessories such as mud flaps and roof racks. Models without the moonroof are lighter and have a lower center of gravity for better cornering and the manual transmission FWD will offer better performance over an Auto with AWD.

Other than this, keep to the scheduled maintenance, rotate tires regularly (and check pressures) and try not to let a bunch of unneeded weight build up inside in the form of junk that never gets removed. Most people who choose the CX-5 are happy with it's performance (or they would have chosen a vehicle with more performance to begin with).

Sweet, thanks for the in-depth reply, very much appreciated. I did get the grand tour model with the 19's and AWD auto haha, BUT I have already gotten aftermarket wheels that are much much lighter, same tire size. So far I am very pleased with how well it performs, no complaints thus far!

You could get a little more acceleration and better MPG by springing for some lighter wheels.

Do you have any recommendations on lighter wheels for a Touring model?

Do you have any recommendations on lighter wheels for a Touring model?

I had my winter tires mounted on a set of 17" Oz Alleggerita 17" wheels a couple of years ago and have been really happy with them. I'd probably buy the same wheels if I needed another set. The only thing I don't like is they carry more road sand since the design is based on being strong and light while the OEM wheels are designed to shed sand at the expense of weight. This hasn't been a driving issue and I can tell they are lighter simply by driving the car each season when I make the switch. The acceleration boost between 0-40 is especially noticeable.

Latest posts

Back