Rear Sway Bar Bushings

SpookySalad

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
There is a groaning from the rear end on rebounds and I think my rear sway bar bushings are about to bite the dust. Are they difficult to replace on this car, a 2000 Protege ES?

if you have the 1.6 with the 16 mm sway bars, no. i got energy suspension units on my and it made a HUGE difference! a little bit stiffer and more controlled.
i ordered part number 9.5120R (or G at the end for black) and they even come with the brackets. there is some bending to do, as the new brackets are straight and at 90` while ours are more like 2 45` bends. let me know if you need pics and i can post them for you. or if the mods would like, i can write a how-to for everyone??

I have a 1.8. Just for some more information, the groaning is completely independent of me driving it or not. If I get in or out of the car, I can hear it from the back. The thing is, the car rides fine. I can't see any damage or discrepancy to or with the springs/heigh. The struts seem fine. Not leaking at least as far as I can tell. It passes with flying colors a bounce test, FWIW. It just sounds like being on a pirate ship. My 1st gen was also like that too, but it had 290k on it, so I'll forgive it. This 3rd gen has only just rolled over 142k.

Last edited:
The most likely cause of the groaning is probably worn strut mounts (top hats). You can replace the swaybar bushings (they cost $25 and take 15 minutes to replace), but they are probably not the cause of the problem.

if you have the 1.6 with the 16 mm sway bars, no. i got energy suspension units on my and it made a HUGE difference! a little bit stiffer and more controlled.
i ordered part number 9.5120R (or G at the end for black) and they even come with the brackets. there is some bending to do, as the new brackets are straight and at 90` while ours are more like 2 45` bends. let me know if you need pics and i can post them for you. or if the mods would like, i can write a how-to for everyone??

It would be great if you could do a write on How To.

I doubt it's strut mounts my car did everything his is doing. But I cheaped out and just greased them as they were in good shape. If you do replace them I'd recommend getting a new end link as you will probly have to cut it off

Back