really bad missfire, 2 cents welcome!!!

randyj69

:
mp5
uhm dont ask me how but i have a 2003 protege5 with 173*** miles.a few weeks i was driving and i herd a realy loud tick from the motor, so i pulled over n poped the hood couldent tell wat it was, so went home took off the valve cover wen i did that saw that ther was nothing wrong with the valves, so i pulled out all te spark plugs and 1 of them was blown the **** up!!!!! i changed them, started it back up it still ticked, so i drove it 2 a friends house 2 get a obd2 scaner, by the time i got ther it stoped makeing the noice, so went home took off the battery terminal to reset the moniters, n since then its jus been lik missfiring wen u get 2 a high rpm, n today im driving n it jus starts going crazy with the missfires, but now it only missfires at about half throttle n under idk if its the coil or coils or this egr valve that ive been readin about. if anybody has an idea please feel free to give me your 2 cents

try the plugs and coil packs and hopefully you changed the sparkplugs..egr doesnt cause misfire iirc

^That language is usually reserved for the Honda boards...

But anyway, how many miles on the coils? They may be failing now (unrelated to the spark plug failure).

ALSO, you may need to pull the intake manifold to discover which screw/butterfly let go and caused the sparkplug to be smashed. It may have damaged a valve/seat as well.

try the plugs and coil packs and hopefully you changed the sparkplugs..egr doesnt cause misfire iirc

Technically, if the EGR valve sticks open, it can create a lean condition which ***may*** cause a misfire. But more than likely, the car would just stall or run really crappy without a CEL.

Back